Author Topic: My first flintlock hunt  (Read 1644 times)

Offline HighUintas

My first flintlock hunt
« on: December 01, 2023, 08:28:28 PM »
I have my first hunt starting tomorrow that I'll be able to hunt with the .58 flintlock I started building early 2022. I have it sighted and zeroed at 100 with it being a few inches high at 50.

There's much snow in the forecast, so I'll get a crash course on keeping my primer and bore dry!

I'll post back here with lessons learned and hopefully, with pictures of my meat :) it's a late season antlerless elk hunt that runs Dec to middle of January, so there's plenty of time for learning and getting a chance to fill my tag.

I want to thank all of you here that helped me along the way from providing drawings, pictures, advice, a ball mold, etc. This is a fantastic group of people and I'm glad this community exists. I couldn't be more excited to be taking a rifle I built from a plank of wood and balls I cast out to hunt elk in the mountains.

My brother is shooting in the picture, not me. He loves it.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 08:34:59 PM by HighUintas »

Offline ScottH

Re: My first flintlock hunt
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2023, 08:57:58 PM »
Best of Luck! Knock em dead!  ;D

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2023, 09:32:13 PM »
Out here in the west, but where?
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline grouse

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2023, 09:54:03 PM »
Good looking flintlock!! Best of luck on your hunt.

Offline HighUintas

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2023, 10:00:45 PM »
Out here in the west, but where?

I'm in Sandy, Utah. But my heart's near Daniel, WY and the Winds ;)

Offline HSmithTX

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2023, 10:52:28 PM »
That rifle is sexy enough the elk might get in line for you.  Good luck!!

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2023, 11:13:25 PM »
Good luck on your first flintlock hunt. If you haven't already I encourage you to procure a cows knee and some type of pan sealer for those snowy conditions.  ;)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2023, 02:04:27 AM »
Dang- wish I could see the pictures.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Kurt

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2023, 06:54:33 PM »
I look forward to hearing about your experience.

Offline mgbruch

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2023, 09:45:09 PM »
Good luck on your hunt.  If you're in for foul weather make sure you have a good lock cover, If you don't already.

I live in the Northwest now, but grew up in Ogden.  Backpacked the north slope a little with my brothers.  Henry's Fork, East Blacks Fork, and Naturalist basin.  Archery hunted the south slope for many years; up on Blind Stream, above Rock Creek.  When I was a kid we used to fish Upper Stillwater; which has long since been obliterated by that @#$%! Stillwater reservoir. Love the High Uintas!

Offline HighUintas

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2023, 03:13:10 AM »
Weekend number one is done!

I remembered last minute last week, that I needed to make a cows knee. I picked up a piece of leather, but my wife convinced me I should get some sleep and not try to rush a project a couple nights before needing to use it.

So, I cut a piece of an old poly lined cloth diaper bag (waterproof) and used some leather strips. It worked very well!! I'll have to get to work on making a cows knee.

I used some chapstick to cover the seams around the pan and barrel by the frizzen. For the muzzle, I cut a finger off a thick nitrile gloves and slipped it over and also used chapstick to seal the opening  between the muzzle cap and barrel where the glove didn't create a seal.

Yesterday was cold and snowy, 20F and 30mph gusts. My lock stayed dry though!

I saw one bull, far into a draw that would have been a tough haul with the overnight snow forecast. Thankfully, he was by himself and no cows nearby.

Unfortunately, I didn't see any other elk or even tracks, which is strange for that area considering the snow depth. I've hunted there the 4 previous years and have never gone a day without seeing an elk track when there's that much snow. Either last winter's winterkill was worse than I thought, or they haven't showed up to that area yet. The next month will tell.

Today... I chickened out on taking my flintlock out and used my bolt rifle. When I parked, the snow was moving sideways for a good half hour, I wanted to increase my possible range a bit considering the lack of elk yesterday, and the forecast called for up to 8" of snow/rain. It turned out to be a very nasty day and I'm glad I didn't take my flintlock out.

Here's a couple of pictures, Daryl!

Offline HighUintas

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2023, 03:19:01 AM »
Good luck on your hunt.  If you're in for foul weather make sure you have a good lock cover, If you don't already.

I live in the Northwest now, but grew up in Ogden.  Backpacked the north slope a little with my brothers.  Henry's Fork, East Blacks Fork, and Naturalist basin.  Archery hunted the south slope for many years; up on Blind Stream, above Rock Creek.  When I was a kid we used to fish Upper Stillwater; which has long since been obliterated by that @#$%! Stillwater reservoir. Love the High Uintas!

East fork blacks fork is my happy place :) I think the Uintas are my favorite range in the country

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2023, 05:11:13 AM »
Thanks, but for some reason I cannot figure out, I can no longer see ANY pictures on this forum.
I use a desk-top with Microsoft programming, but Firefox browser. I have tried deleting all history, cookies, cache, everything. That was a pain in the butt to get all my addresses back, but even
before doing that, I could still not see any pictures. For a few days, I could see most of the older pictures, but none of the new ones, then they just started disappearing. Anyone any ideas, please
PM me.
Daryl

Offline alacran

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2023, 02:45:46 PM »
Good to see a young man hunting with a muzzleloader. A good friend hunted not too far from you in CO. It was in October. He told me he had never seen so many dead elk from last winter on the fence lines.
Our elk are spoiled, when the snow gets deep at all the elk go down to lower elevations in Arizona. Your elk don't seem to have much choice. Good luck!
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2023, 05:37:10 PM »
Beautiful country, good luck!  Living on flat land at sea level even those pics make my legs ache.
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline Daryl

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2023, 08:06:44 PM »
VPN off, pictures show. Looks like good deer country to me.
Daryl