Author Topic: Can anyone ID this horn?  (Read 1253 times)

Offline TDW

• AF&AM, DORIC LODGE #53, Past Master
Can anyone ID this horn?
« on: November 28, 2023, 08:20:12 PM »
I got this horn in a trade at the Western National Rendezvous in ‘96. At the time, the man who owned it, told me who the maker was… All I remember was, he seemed to think it was a name that should have impressed me…. I promptly forgot the name…. ::). I’m going to be selling this horn, and a few other things I no longer need, and was wondering if anyone recognized it.
   It’s a very well made horn, air tight and properly thinned so you can see through it. It’s 15 inches on the outside of the curve, and made to be worn on the right. The base plug appears to be walnut, held in place by 30 wood pins, and is glass paneled on the bottom. It has a copper ring hanger at the base.
   I liked it for the intricate artwork covering most of the body!

Does anyone recognize this horn? I would also appreciate your thoughts on a price to place on it…
Thanks,
TDW

Offline TDW

Re: Can anyone ID this horn?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2023, 09:28:58 PM »
So, I figured it was a long shot, but I just received a PM from a member saying my pictures aren’t showing….. I see them on my iPad and my phone and am just wondering if anyone else can see them?
Tom

Offline Dave Marsh

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2023, 09:52:57 PM »
I can see them.  Nice horn. 
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2023, 12:04:14 AM »
 So can I. No help on the maker but nice horn done by someone who knew what they were doing.

Tim

Offline TDW

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2023, 02:27:12 AM »
Thanks gentlemen, I appreciate the help!
Tom

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2023, 03:42:49 AM »
Maybe you have done this.  I would scour it under magnification and good lighting for a makers mark, initials, etc.  That may give some of us a clue who don’t recognize the work by itself. 

The number of pins is unusual. Might be a one off feature, or something of a signature for this particular builder.  If he was copying an original - sometimes Southern horns had an abundance of pins.  Or perhaps the builder adopted this feature having seen it on some originals.  So perhaps he was/is from the south or a southern colony state.  Also, the turned stopper is unique enough to be a signature identifier if he used that often.  It’s a well done horn.  Looks 80’s to early 90’s to me.  They were often not dyed that much then.  My thoughts FWIW.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 04:01:40 AM by Top Jaw »

Offline aaronc

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2023, 05:55:19 PM »
Agree with others it's some really nice work. You may could send pics to the guys over at the Horn Guild......some of them may at least have a guess.
- Aaron C
At the work bench.