Author Topic: Drum size on 13/16'' bbl  (Read 5258 times)

JLE

Drum size on 13/16'' bbl
« on: December 13, 2009, 02:59:40 AM »
Will I have any problems with a 1/2'' drum on a 13/16'' .36 cal Colerain bbl.if I build by the book? I done a search on this site and really did not find anything.Sorry guys I am fairly new to building.Will be building a Southern rifle,steel mounted.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Drum size on 13/16'' bbl
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 03:18:10 AM »
JLE,
You didn't mention what caliber the rifle is but that is very important. In the larger calibers .45 and up, you have a very thin wall for the drum threads. I don't build percussions with a drum/nipple so I may be wrong about the caliber but I think it is dangerous using them on anything over a .40 caliber and some say even smaller calibers. Some won't use the at all!
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Pete Allan

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 04:31:32 AM »
You might look into the drum and nipple breechs that I designed as it eliminates any of the normal safety concerns with common drum setups. I have personally seen drums blown out right on the firing line at a match so I know it can happen. They are just like a normal patient breech but they look like a drum on a barrel. Both Tip Curtis and Track of the Wolf handle them otherwise I have them in stock.

Offline wvmtnman

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 06:24:05 AM »
You will have no problems putting a 1/2 inch drum into that barrel. The diameter of the drum is not as important as the thread size.  I am finally getting around to finishing up a 13/16  .36 caliber percussion rifle now.  I built it about 2 years ago and squirrel hunted and target shot with it for the past two years.  It has a 1/2 inch drum with a 3/8 -24 thread.  Never a single problem.  Also, I was shooting 35 grains of 3 F.
                                                                                    Brian
B. Lakatos

JLE

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 03:05:57 AM »
Ok, the drum I have is 5/16-24 tap size. I will get a drum with a 3/8X24 tap size and go with that,I plan on squirrel hunting with the rifle also. Thanks.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 03:56:25 AM »
the drum I have is 5/16-24 tap size. I will get a drum with a 3/8X24 tap size and go with that
Why? Do you think you will gain strength by going larger?  You won't!
Personally, I would go with a 1/4 inch one or use the one you've already got.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

northmn

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 06:59:07 PM »
I ahve built rifles in 13/16 45 using a drum and nipple arrangement with no problem.  My preference would be the 5/16X24.  One possible cause of blown drums is overtightening and stripping threads or breaking the drum.  You want to snug it in place so that it lines up with the hammer but do not over torque.  The best method is to use the  TOW system with a drum blank and an alignment hole for drilling the nipple hole.  One trick I used was to use a low temp solder and solder the bottom of the drum in place so that it would not come loose.  Some of the new low temp silvers should work.  I had one rifle I used quite a bit and sold to another individual who shot the blazes out of it.  13/16 45.  I also saw an individual blow a nipple out of a drum with a very heavy charge but the drum stayed in place. 

DP

Offline wvmtnman

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 08:15:39 PM »
If you have the 5/16 drum & tap combo, just stick with that.  The only reason I used a 3/8 threaded drum is because that was all I had on hand at that time.  What you are actually concerned with is the hole inside the threaded part.  I personally think a 1/4 inch threaded drum is a little too small to permit good flow.  Especially when shooting multiple times without cleaning, such as in squirrel hunting.  I feel that the small hole would have a tendency to get clogged a little more easier than a larger one.   But it is all a matter of personal preference.  However, I will say that I have no experience with a 1/4 inch drum either.  Sort of like saying I don't like squirrel brains even though I have never tried them......
                                                                                  Brian
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 08:16:40 PM by wvmtnman »
B. Lakatos

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 09:41:47 PM »
If you have the 5/16 drum & tap combo, just stick with that.  The only reason I used a 3/8 threaded drum is because that was all I had on hand at that time.  What you are actually concerned with is the hole inside the threaded part.  I personally think a 1/4 inch threaded drum is a little too small to permit good flow.  Especially when shooting multiple times without cleaning, such as in squirrel hunting.  I feel that the small hole would have a tendency to get clogged a little more easier than a larger one.   But it is all a matter of personal preference.  However, I will say that I have no experience with a 1/4 inch drum either.  Sort of like saying I don't like squirrel brains even though I have never tried them......
                                                                                  Brian
Although in proper alingment the lockplate is to be supporting the drum the 1/4 inch is too small, with the hammer pounding on the drum via the nipple. 

JLE

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 01:56:26 AM »
Ok. I installed the drum I had 5/16X24.I had the TOW drum & nipple alignment tool which worked great!Hopefully I will finish this up in a few weeks. The large Siler Lock supports the drum very well.. I will test fire when done and hope all goes well. This is my first drum to install.
Thanks to all. JLE

northmn

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 12:53:20 PM »
If you have the 5/16 drum & tap combo, just stick with that.  The only reason I used a 3/8 threaded drum is because that was all I had on hand at that time.  What you are actually concerned with is the hole inside the threaded part.  I personally think a 1/4 inch threaded drum is a little too small to permit good flow.  Especially when shooting multiple times without cleaning, such as in squirrel hunting.  I feel that the small hole would have a tendency to get clogged a little more easier than a larger one.   But it is all a matter of personal preference.  However, I will say that I have no experience with a 1/4 inch drum either.  Sort of like saying I don't like squirrel brains even though I have never tried them......
                                                                                  Brian[/sup]
The "interchageable" 1/4 x 28 drums had a questionable reputation as some of them broke off due to poor support of the lockplate.  A 3/8 X24 drum is larger than the flat on a 13/16 or so close as to offer some problems.  There were sources that talked of the "extra care" needed when installing a 1/4 inch drum.  As to squirrel brains, I guess they were a delicacy in my mother's state of Missouri, as my father mentioned haveing a head staring back at him when he was eating squirrel with my mothers family.  He generously let one of my uncles have the delicacy.  I do not go to extra care to salvage the head and purposely shoot for the head as I consider squirrel a true riflemans target.  Like you I won't say I do not like the brains as I have not tried them either. 

DP

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 03:13:49 PM »
We used Pete's breeches on two recently built 25cal caplock rifles built with Rayle's 3/4" bbls. The chambers cast in were  too large for 25's, so we shrink fitted sleeves and did some redrilling.  This  is something  to look at in all bbl sizes. Excellent breech and ,in my opinion, the best choice for a caplock on a 3/4' bbl.
Gene