Author Topic: Sliding patchbox release (how might it work)  (Read 3922 times)

Bryce

Sliding patchbox release (how might it work)
« on: December 16, 2009, 04:34:00 AM »
I've recently been looking around for some sliding patchbox ideas, and i came across this,

I saved the image, but I'm afraid that for the life of me i cant find the site again. In any case, the release is the rose in the center, I would just like to find out if anyone knew how this may have been done as most conventional mechanisms I have seen are simple spring releases.

Thanks,

Bryce

Offline Ezra

"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline alex e.

Re: Sliding patchbox release (how might it work)
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 06:29:05 AM »
Ask LuckyRA.....I  believe he made it.Awsome gun,I ve fondled it on a couple occasions. :o
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

keweenaw

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 07:35:14 PM »
The release is just a bar that pivots in the center with a spring putting pressure on the rosette side to keep it closed.

Offline Swampwalker

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 07:38:18 PM »
I think if I was making it, I would have a long lever underneath the cover, with the catch at one end, and a pivot pin in the middle.  It would need a spring to maintain tension against the catch.  Sounds like it would be fun to make.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 11:55:24 PM »
I made one once with a metal hook in the front end of the patchbox cavity, and the spring catch in the lid snapped into it.  Press the button and it unhooks.  Technically quite simple, though I don't have a picture to show.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Bryce

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 08:29:30 PM »
Thanks to all for their contributions. I finally get some time off over the next couple weeks, so will try this out then.
Thanks again,

Bryce

J.D.

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 08:55:07 PM »
I made one once with a metal hook in the front end of the patchbox cavity, and the spring catch in the lid snapped into it.  Press the button and it unhooks.  Technically quite simple, though I don't have a picture to show.

Now that is a great idea. Not only do you have a release that is virtually free of accidental release, the mechanism will probably act to prevent full removal of the PB from the gun, by accident. Brilliant!!

God bless