Author Topic: Don Getz Barrels-again  (Read 2041 times)

Offline t.caster

Don Getz Barrels-again
« on: December 11, 2023, 06:27:11 PM »
I know this has been discussed in the past, but some new info has surfaced.
Tallbear stated here (a few tears ago) that barrels preceding #19696 were made by Don and assume those made after that were by his son John. Someone else mentioned Don was making them and started to transition to John making them in or around 2002. I recently aquired 4 Getz barrels with serial nos.21034, 21181, 21182 & 22059, all with paper work showing purchase in 2000. So I wonder about the #19696 cut-off point.
I know from multiple conversations with Don in 2011 that he was still somewhat active in the shop and was at least inspecting all the barrels before they went out.
Sadly Don Getz passed away in Nov. 2016 and John is near impossible to get ahold of to get any clearification.

I still shoot a Getz .54 x 42" barreled J P Beck rifle I built in 2003 with a 2002 barrel, and it still shoots as good as new after 20 years of constant monthly shooting! I just wish I could hold as steady I did 20 yrs. ago.

Anyway, I was hoping some of you Pennsylvania builders could shed more light on this.
Thanks,
Tom Caster, in MI
Tom C.

Offline Cody Tetachuk

Re: Don Getz Barrels-again
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2023, 07:19:51 PM »
It is sad what happened to "Getz barrels". In 2006 when Taylor Sapergia, Brian Dancey and I went to Dixons, we toured Getz barrels and we each ordered a 48" barrel (IIRC). All the same barrel all ordered the same day personally while we were there. Taylor and Brian got theirs (don't know how ling they had to wait), I never did. In the end it was just as well as I stopped building 2 years later.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2023, 08:27:16 PM »
I think I have Brian's barrel.  It's a 48" barrel w/ his name dremeled on the bottom flat (something Jon did very frequently) and there's a date, I think it's @ 2007 or 2008 or something but I'd have to pull it (it's in a stock blank now).  I bought it second hand which is the only way on this planet I would EVER buy a Getz barrel again.

Jon was notorious for making a barrel to order for someone, it's finally ready to go sitting in the rack, and someone walks in the shop and says "gee, I like that!"...  and there goes your barrel.  Rinse and repeat.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline t.caster

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2023, 09:18:22 PM »
Hmmm, I had one with Brian Dancey's name scratched on the bottom not too long ago. I built a rifle around it already. Wasn't 48" though.
Tom C.

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2023, 10:02:42 PM »
I used to buy barrels from Don at his shop of when we camped together at Ft Fredrick. I have too many Jon stories that are all lessons learned. Too bad about it all. I still shoot my 25 year old "Don" barrels and they still shoot better than me.

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2023, 12:23:21 AM »
Confirmation of your original number range hypothesis would be good info to know.  I have a 21,000 series in a rifle that I thought was not a “Don” G era.   I’m working a load up for it.  Would be nice to know for sure, as it would give the gun a little more “mystique” ,and maybe a little more potential (or at least hypothetical) accuracy.  😀✅👍

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2023, 12:55:28 AM »
Wow... reminds me of a poor hen in my chicken coop that had the misfortune to become unpopular. In a matter of days the other hens pecked and worried her head clean off. Maybe she deserved it, I never really found out. The only effect it had on me was that I had fewer eggs...

Galations 2:20

Offline Habu

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2023, 01:22:28 AM »
I know from multiple conversations with Don in 2011 that he was still somewhat active in the shop and was at least inspecting all the barrels before they went out.

In 2012, shortly after the spring matches at Friendship, out of the blue I received a letter (remember those? came on paper and everything!) from Don Getz.  Based on the wording of the letter, he seemed to still be involved in the shop on some level. 

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2023, 01:25:24 AM »
I think I still have 18 barrels on order..... :P
It don't mean nothin, all water under the bridge now.
There were a lot of guys that worked in that shop over the years.  If I recall, Don told me he had up to five working there at any given time. They really produced some barrels back in those days.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2023, 01:51:43 AM »
Dave Dodds worked there for a few years and was very, VERY conscientious about his work.  Great machinist, great gunsmith and all around great guy.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline reddogge

• Starting Member
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2023, 01:54:47 AM »
My brother-in-law lived across the street from Don. He took me over there for one visit and he and I spent 2 hours telling stories, reminiscing, him showing me everything he had there. Great person.

I know John mainly from archery shoots, not gun building so no input for that.

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2023, 09:10:40 PM »
I believe John was in very poor health last I heard from him.
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2023, 09:33:11 PM »
Tom

The # I gave was the number of the first barrel John made when he bought the shop from Don and barrels made after that number merely denote that John owned the business nothing more..John worked in the shop prior to that # but Don owned the shop.Even after John bought the business Don still went to the shop almost every day until his death sometimes helping in the shop and more often or not building guns in the front room and holding court with the crowd that gathered daily usually around lunchtime :) .Several times during John's ownership Don stepped in and was more active in barrel production than at other times if that makes any sense.

Mitch
« Last Edit: December 26, 2023, 09:40:13 PM by tallbear »

Offline reddogge

• Starting Member
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2023, 03:01:33 AM »
I believe John was in very poor health last I heard from him.

Sorry to hear that.

Offline J Shingler

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2023, 06:39:03 PM »
Jon spends a lot of time taking care of his autistic son wich I commend him for doing so. Also Jon has had a leg amputated due to health issues. Getz barrels were the best in the business but I would not expect any new ones to surface.
Thank you
Jeff