Author Topic: Appalachian Barn Gun Kit  (Read 2411 times)

Offline Sly Hog

• Starting Member
Appalachian Barn Gun Kit
« on: December 27, 2023, 07:38:41 AM »
Howdy  all,

I'm looking for a first project and was attracted to a kit from Sitting Fox Muzzleloaders called the Barn Gun. Quite simple, unadorned but functional. I had reached out and didn't receive a reply and now I fear the website is now defunct. I'm posting a link from Wabac. Any tips on where I can get similar parts? I'm not all too familiar with the process, but hopefully I can get together a kit for a similar gun.

Thanks

https://web.archive.org/web/20150316185642/http://sittingfoxmuzzleloaders.com/k-1/

Offline Aprock

• Starting Member
Re: Appalachian Barn Gun Kit
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2023, 08:08:04 AM »
My experience with Sitting Fox this past year was an absolute disaster. First shipment, completely wrong stock, completely wrong barrel; and they didn't even go together - 42" barrel channel vs a 26" barrel - on what was supposed to be a 36" barrel gun. Lucky for him USPS cracked the dang stock. Sent it all back. MONTHS go by while he puts together parts that he should have already had since it was advertised as a complete kit already boxed up and ready to go...2nd shipment, again, wrong. Straight octagon instead of Oct to round, stock wasn't right (supposed to be a Jeager), trigger guard wrong, etc. None of it was as advertised and pictured. In the end I had threaten legal action to get a refund.

Offline Hatchet-Jack

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2023, 04:06:04 PM »
If it were me I would source the Lock, trigger and other parts from Jim Chambers. The bbl from Rice Barrels. I would get a blank stock from Allen Martin. I would make the rest of the furniture, underlugs, ramrod pipes out of sheet steel.

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2023, 04:40:11 PM »
I’m with hatchet Jack,   Building from scratch is an education that can’t be equaled.
( I’ll repeat my offer that no one has taken me up on…..if you want to build a gun from scratch, you can use my shop, my tools, and my expertise …such as it is.
( no one has ever taken me up on this ………?????  ( I do bathe regularly….so that’s not the problem)
mikeyfirelock ……in NW Indiana
Mike Mullins

Offline Hatchet-Jack

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2023, 05:13:08 PM »
I’m with hatchet Jack,   Building from scratch is an education that can’t be equaled.
( I’ll repeat my offer that no one has taken me up on…..if you want to build a gun from scratch, you can use my shop, my tools, and my expertise …such as it is.
( no one has ever taken me up on this ………?????  ( I do bathe regularly….so that’s not the problem)
mikeyfirelock ……in NW Indiana
I hope someone takes you up on that Mikey! I was fortunate to find Jeff Talbert who lives 15 minutes away from me in KY. Learning under the guidance of a Pro is the way to go!

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2023, 05:42:17 PM »
If your not comfortable with a build just yet why not get a Kibler kit. Probably one of the easiest   assemblies out there.  ;)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2023, 06:25:45 PM »
I'd not buy anything from that outfit. You can gather the parts together yourself and get exactly what you need. Probably cheaper too.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2023, 04:40:27 AM »
My thought was that for a first gun project that building a longrifle from various parts sources and carving out the stock from a blank is a pretty ambitious notion, most especially if one has not built a gun before and has no one to guide him in the process.
The outfit mentioned has a pretty horrible reputation which could sour the anticipation for an enjoyable build before anything is even started.
It would be helpful to know the budget range for this first gun project also. There are kits and then there are better kits, and on up.
It’s good to see an interest in making this decission. Building and shooting a longrifle that you made with your own hands is a rewarding experience.
Best of luck and keep us updated.
-Bob

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2023, 05:59:27 AM »
  I wished Jim Kibler would make a barn gun. With his CNC machines it should be a walk in the park for him. But none the less I'm not a fan of Sitting Fox...long story but building a gun from scratch is not as hard as it is put out to be. Now getting the correct architecture correct is the most challenging for us newbie type people. But if you got any patience at all it's not impossible.
  But in the end you will learn far more than you would from a kit. JMHO

Offline Rt5403

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2023, 02:44:29 PM »
I started with a kit. I will tell you for the same price or way less than a good quality kit you can just gather the parts and build from scratch. This way you get exactly what you want in a gun. If you don't want to go purely from scratch Dave keck at knob mountain muzzleloading can profile your butt stock and inlet the barrel and it will still leave you with flat side on the forearm and no lock inlet which is actually way easier to deal with. Especially when trying to drill holes.

Offline elk killer

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2023, 03:53:07 PM »
Clay Smith has some great kits
As does Cabin Creek
Plus you can get them almost in about any stage of finish
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2023, 09:14:38 PM »
I started with a kit. I will tell you for the same price or way less than a good quality kit you can just gather the parts and build from scratch. This way you get exactly what you want in a gun. If you don't want to go purely from scratch Dave keck at knob mountain muzzleloading can profile your butt stock and inlet the barrel and it will still leave you with flat side on the forearm and no lock inlet which is actually way easier to deal with. Especially when trying to drill holes.

I'll second taking a look at Dave Keck when starting out.  He will also just inlet the barrel and drill the ramrod hole if don't want the stock profiled.

Don Richards
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2023, 09:36:02 PM »
If you got the extra bucks, I'd go with the Kibler Tenn rifle. You will end up with a GREAT rifle that will be a joy to shoot without the hassle of assembling a "put together kit" that is not so easily put together. If you feel confident on assembling one of the above-mentioned kits then go for it but be aware you will be in for a long bumpy ride ::) :'(.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline recurve

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2023, 06:20:16 AM »
get a good maple stock  blank and have Dave Keck  inlet it then he can shape it or better yet you can. wood and inlet from Dave  the lock from chambers/Dixon's all  other parts from Dixon's, barrel from B Hoyt my first plank build a barn gun Schimmel

« Last Edit: December 29, 2023, 06:38:05 AM by recurve »

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2023, 05:56:43 PM »
Chambers will sell you a kit with the buttplate not cut in. 

Cory Joe

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2023, 06:03:01 PM »
Cabin Creek as stated did at one time make the kit you want.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2023, 08:12:34 PM »
My last rifle was a Pecatonica pre carved walnut full stock and a one by 36 barrel that was 58 caliber.I chose the 58 because I had and still do have the round ball mould of that size,a Lyman that cost new in 1953 less than $5 in hard currency.My own Ketland lock,steel trigger guard and lightly sprung single trigger  completed the rifle.I called it a KISS gun.(Kept It Stupidly Simple.) ;D.
Bob Roller

Offline c deperro

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2024, 01:41:56 PM »
Try Dave Keck at knob mountain muzzleloading. He has lots of patterns.