Author Topic: Hawken Armory Inc.  (Read 981 times)

Offline Grumpy_Bubbles

• Starting Member
Hawken Armory Inc.
« on: January 05, 2024, 02:21:20 AM »
Hey all!
I am brand new to the community. Never had any experience with muzzle loaders of any kind. I have a bit of modern firearms and reloading experience. I have a newly acquired piece that I thought you fine folks might be able to assist me with. This thing just kind of found me. I know a guy who inherited this piece and doesn't really do the gun thing. So he doesn't know or have any history on it. The only info I've been able to find came from Mtn Meek on this forum a what I presume is his website at GRRW Collector. Best I can tell from the limited info I've gathered in the last 24 hrs is that this thing is probably a shooter not just a display piece and will need a little restoration to get it back to shooting status which I'd love to do.

Any info you fellas can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks In Advance

Offline Beaverman

Re: Hawken Armory Inc.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2024, 09:53:38 AM »
First things first... did you check and make sure it's not loaded? may sound like a dumb question but it wouldn't be the first rifle somebody inherited that was loaded!, drop the ram rod down the barrel and see how much sticks out when it hits the bottom, mark it with your thumb and pull it out and lay it on the barrel, thumb against the business end and see where the other end of the rod is in relation to the breech plug , if it's empty it should be within 1 inch or a little less from where the barrel meets the breech, if it's more, you have something in there. once empty simply take the barrel from the stock and give it a good cleaning, oil it, remove the lock, clean and oil all moving parts, same with the trigger, reassemble and test fire it with a light load of about 20 grains and see if it hits a target a short distance away, say 10 yards, if that works your on the road to success, as always in muzzleloading there's more than 1 way to skin this cat, be safe, Beav

Offline Grumpy_Bubbles

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2024, 10:24:13 AM »
Great points.

I actually ran a bore scope down it just to double check that also. As stated I am completely new to not only this firearm but also this type of firearm. I only found out today what the lock is so disassembly, cleaning and, checking function come as 2nd nature to some here, and I'm sure they are not beyond me, are completely unknown to me at this point. I can build an do all of that with with the modern weapons I have but I dont even know why this thing has two triggers or why, what powder to use or why, or what accessories I need.

The rod seems to be incomplete somehow but I can't quite articulate how. I will upload more photos and ask more questions in the coming days as I come across them.

As stated I am thankful for any assistance and you've made some good points.

Questions I have as of now?
Value? "Not because I want to sell but trying to determine if it's worth investing in or hanging on a wall"
Age?
What do the triggers do and why does it have 2?
Disassembly instructions?
Percussion caps, size, brand, where to purchase
Powder?
Projectiles?
Accessories?
Oil?
Supplemental parts?
What things are called?
Any part identification? Lock, barrel, bore size, trigger
Anything else you think might even be slightly helpful.

Offline Johnny Danger

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2024, 02:45:27 PM »
Hello,

Value? Looks like $500-$600-ish new, Unless it's some special rarity I'm not aware of.

What do the triggers do and why does it have 2? One is a "set trigger". once cocked, it makes the main trigger a "hair trigger". Play with it, you should figure it out.

Disassembly instructions? I linked a video below. It looks like yours has a pin rather than a key holding the barrel to the for-end.

Percussion caps, size, brand, where to purchase? Probably number 11 or percussion caps. Brand is personal preference. You should be able to get them at your local gun store or the internet.

Powder? Black powder. FFF "triple F" should work.

Projectiles? It depends on the caliber. It should say on the barrel somewhere. But they are round lead balls.

Accessories? Bullet starter, Powder flask and new ramrod to start.

Oil? You could use any oil you would use on modern firearms. CLP-Ballistol.

Supplemental parts? It doesn't look like you need any.

What things are called? A Hawken percussion rifle.

This might help with disassembly.
https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/relatedvideo?&q=percussion+caps+gun+disassembly&&mid=576AD21FB75C097063B7576AD21FB75C097063B7&&FORM=VRDGAR

I like this guy, this should help too.
https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/relatedvideo?&q=Duelist+Den+percussion+rifle&&mid=A907855F8147B1A0B722A907855F8147B1A0B722&&FORM=VRDGAR
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 05:08:33 PM by Johnny Danger »

Offline bptactical

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2024, 07:07:41 PM »
There is some good info on "Hawken Armory Inc" to be had in this thread:

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=53723.0
The most important thing to be learned from those who demand “Equality For All” is that all are not equal

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2024, 08:18:48 PM »
The only "Hawken"Shop I remember was the one in St,Louis when Art Resell owned it.I made locks and triggers for that shop using their plates and hammers.I always thought that a muzzle loading shop selling only one type of gun was a bad idea and these rifles as a finished
item or a kit were not cheap.I was right and still hold onto that idea.What started on old St.Louis is now in Washington State,maybe and I hear that Jim Kibler is supposed to be bringing a new CNC Hawken to reality.Anyone know for sure about this.I think a Manton styled flintlock sporting rifle in 54 or 58 caliber would be a better use of mterials. ;D.
Bob Roller