Author Topic: Kutztown University is the new home of an American Revolution military archive  (Read 916 times)

Offline Carl Young

Kutztown University is the new home of an American Revolution military archive collection that the school made public online, drawing heavy interest from historians and those researching their family roots.

One hundred reels of microfilm containing thousands of pages of original documents from the United States, Great Britain and Germany were digitized by KU after being provided by the nonprofit Johannes Schwalm Historical Association, which retains the hard copies.

The all-volunteer Schwalm group is dedicated to researching the German auxiliary troops often referred to as Hessians who remained in America after the Revolutionary War.

Some had been taken prisoner and a number were held at POW camps in Reading and Lancaster. Others had deserted or simply remained when the conflict ended.

Many of those former troops became loyal citizens, made cultural contributions and were the ancestors of thousands of Americans living today, said Dr. Michael Gabriel, KU history department chair and Schwalm association board member and editorial committee member.

A number of those former German auxiliaries settled in the Pennsylvania Dutch area of Pennsylvania, Gabriel said.

The nonprofit is named after Schwalm, who was among the Hessians captured at the battle of Trenton and who settled in Schuylkill County.

The records were digitized by the university’s library over the last several years, and in August the collection was launched on a website managed by KU.

Researchers from across the world can access those digital archives through KU’s Rohrbach Library at research.library.kutztown.edu/schwalm/.
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline OLUT

Thanks for this new-to-me- source of information. I browsed a bit of it and it is extensive ( I gotta' brush up on my old German skills for some of the documents). I also noted that the University's collection includes the "Journal of Dracula Studies", etc

Offline spgordon

Wow, this is fantastic--thanks for sharing. I'm twenty minutes from Kutztown but hadn't heard about this at all.
Check out: The Lost Village of Christian's Spring
https://christiansbrunn.web.lehigh.edu/
And: The Earliest Moravian Work in the Mid-Atlantic: A Guide
https://www.moravianhistory.org/product-page/moravian-activity-in-the-mid-atlantic-guidebook

Offline Carl Young

Sometimes you need to be flexible on spelling. For instance I was looking for Jager/Jaeger and found an image titled Hessen-Hanau Fager, which does appear to be a Jager.
https://research.library.kutztown.edu/schwalmknotel/4

I would be interested in hearing about what you find.
Carl
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline tunadawg

• Starting Member
Huh, right in my backyard. Might have to look into this. Thanks.