Author Topic: With changes come issues!! Stocks!  (Read 1347 times)

Offline Steeltrap

With changes come issues!! Stocks!
« on: February 02, 2024, 08:13:21 PM »
So, now that I'm going with a 7/8" barrel (someday I'll find one in stock for $200)(I want 7/8", tapped for a 5/8-18 plug...or better yet, needing drilled and tapped for a plug) I have to redo the stock that I had cut for a 15/16" straight barrel.

I double checked, then triple checked, then checked again that I had enough wood if I bring the bottom of the 7/8" barrel to the existing RR hole. Then I'd inlet the barrel and drill a new (newer?) RR hole.

So...the issue I ran into is the RR hole that was drilled for the 15/16" barrel is off center.

Here's the stock after I cut off the existing forend sides. I could have went lower, but I left some wiggle room.

Then I marked where the bottom of the existing RR hole was

And then I began the process of at least starting the inlet....I can't get to far as I don't have a barrel yet. I cut off a chunk of the old CVA barrel and filed two sides to the dimension of a 7/8", but that's not the same as having the barrel in hand.

It's a little tough to see but halfway back on the channel is my CVA "gauge". I'll have enough wood to inlet the 7/8" barrel.....but I may have to or need to glue in a piece on the inside of the barrel channel because the existing RR hole had wandered (looking down from the front) too the right. I don't think I'll break into that void when I get to the point of shaping the forend, but gluing in a piece from the get-go as a precautionary won't harm anything else....I don't think.....

And this pic shows that I have enough wood to make this piece work. I laid the T\C half stock over the maple piece and I have the room. I will move the breech back so the back of it ends where the existing RR hole is.

Offline Steeltrap

Re: With changes come issues!! Stocks!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2024, 03:16:08 AM »
Today I drilled a new RR hole…only to discover my hole drill did exactly what the original one did. From top to bottom my hole skewed to the left. I believe I have plenty of wood remaining so when shaping the lock panels nothing will break through.

Fortunately the RR hole went opposite of the lock mortise.

Offline Rawhide Rick

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2024, 05:18:09 AM »
I have a couple white ash blanks I want to use, but have never drilled ramrod holes.  This isn’t boosting my confidence.

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2024, 06:21:01 AM »
There is nothing hard about drilling ramrod holes as long as you take your time use a good quality drill bit.

I would wait until I actually had the barrel before doing the inletting.

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2024, 03:29:45 PM »
It’s my amateur opinion that the wood grain caused the original RR hole (I did not drill that one) to wander. I only say this as my drilling did the same….followed the same path.

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2024, 11:46:50 PM »
Update.....I measured, and remeasured, then again.

I have no doubt the RR hole will "bust out" the side plate. I don't know what I was measuring before, but after coming back to it.... it's clear that will occur.

It was my first attempt at drilling a RR hole, and I failed miserably.

So, now I'm faced with a few options. Either #1-attempt forcing a plug down the hole, #2-cut out the side and glue in a piece while attempting to match the grain as close as possible, #3-call it a day and use the remainder of that piece of wood for a future pistol build and simply order another chunk of wood. (Pre drilled RR hole of course!)

I'll sleep on it. Any and all input on which option you think is best is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline john bohan

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2024, 01:12:52 AM »
Rick, you can drill your RR hole first then fit your barrel to the ram rod hole. There is a good video on youtube how to do this.

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2024, 01:58:10 AM »
My initial thoughts are I can likely hide the break out with a side plate…or if not so lucky (who me?) the fix piece will be hardly noticeable.

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2024, 11:35:25 PM »
Well, after opening up the bottom of the barrel channel I see my rookie mistake. I had the stock clamped to my drill press and it's obvious from the start that my alignment was off.

I now have a straight RR hole, but I don't know how much of the side will need fixed.

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2024, 06:13:18 PM »
So, after some initial barrel inletting I’ve stopped. I could continue with working on this piece of wood, however with the original RR hole now the bottom of the barrel channel, and the original RR hole wandering to the side plate, I will need to glue in a base on that side to support the barrel.

That’s not so bad, but with my compounding error of the new RR hole also needing a cut/glue fix, I’ve decided to stop and just order a new blank for the 7/8 barrel.

All is not lost on this piece as there is plenty of wood for a pistol stock.