Author Topic: How do you ink scrimshaw on horns  (Read 1525 times)

Offline Jerry V Lape

How do you ink scrimshaw on horns
« on: January 08, 2024, 10:01:47 AM »
I have done severaL horns but the current one is giving me fits.  When I apply inks the inevitable excess is very difficult to cleanup.  I would like to hear how others are managing the issue.

Online Frozen Run

Re: How do you ink scrimshaw on horns
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2024, 10:46:42 AM »
I know a couple horners who use an ultra fine sharpie to ink it and then 4-0 steel wool to clean off the high spots.

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2024, 02:18:03 PM »
I use a fine steel nib and India Ink. There should not be “inevitable excess”. If there is, or you get some smudging onto the horn, let it dry and then use the edge of a sharp knife and it can easily be scraped away.
Good luck!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 02:47:10 PM by Bob Gerard »

Offline John Proud

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2024, 06:44:42 PM »
I gave up using ink on my horn engraving. I had trouble with it spreading into the horn by capillary action and it always appeared dark and "dead" to my eye. I use rottenstone mixed with neatsfoot oil. Just smear it on and wipe it off. It leaves a worm dark brown color.

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2024, 05:28:33 AM »
I use fine steel wool to clean up any excess ink.  When working with intricate designs, I also may ink more than once due to cleaning up areas where lines cut in the horn were not finished to satisfaction which became apparent after the first "cleanup".

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2024, 04:50:14 PM »
On my last horn with ink, I tried one of those magic eraser things on the stubborn background areas that seemed to be resisting the steel wool.  Worked very well.  And you can target specific spots easier than with steel wool alone.  And like John Proud mentioned, I have mostly gone to using other things besides large blobs of ink to darken the lines. 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 04:56:55 PM by Top Jaw »

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2024, 03:57:37 AM »
Wider and deeper lines will give you holder lines. No need to flood your engraving work with ink, just lay the ink in (if you use a dip pen) and it will flow into your lines and give you a nice result. For broader areas to color like inside large letters, you can also lightly score the surface and stipple and lightly rub ink into the area with a small applicator.  Any seepage or smudging of ink out of the scribed lines can be removed one way or another- I have used a sharp blade or fine sand paper as well. (Additionally you can remove entire engravings if they are not that deep in this way.) And if you do desire it, you can get India Ink in various colors, too.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 03:05:24 PM by Bob Gerard »

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2024, 07:48:27 AM »
After action report.  I finally settled on india ink applied with a real fine calligraphy nib.  Cleaned up with several methods using steel wool, scraper and eraser.  I think this is an unusual horn in that it was very grainy more so than previous horns I have made.  I will put photo's on before long.  I am not the equal of the horns displayed here but I is representative of the early horns in the lobed horn style. 

Offline alhedrick

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2024, 07:36:16 PM »
I don't do the quality of work that others do but cigar ash works for me just dampen area  and rub in ash