Author Topic: Starting a longrifle library  (Read 3561 times)

jwh1947

Starting a longrifle library
« on: December 19, 2009, 11:11:13 PM »
A local friend recently expressed an interest in Kentuckies and I wished to get him up to speed as quickly as possible.  Here are the books I provided and the order in which I gave them to him.  As there appears to be a reasonable number of newcomers who have a genuine desire to learn, I offer the book list to everyone.

1.  Henry Kauffman, The Pennsylvania-Kentucky Rifle.Harrisburg: Stackpole Publishing, 1960.
2.  Joe Kindig, et al., Thoughts on the Kentucky Rifle in Its Golden Age,as updated. York, PA: George Shumway Publishing, 1983.
3.  George Shumway, Rifles of Colonial America, Vols. I & II. York:PA, George Shumway Publishing, 1980.

Not to say that there are not other good sources out there, but this list would be useful to anyone interested in getting off on the right bearing.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 11:35:40 PM by jwh1947 »

Offline Steve Collward

Re: Starting a longrifle library
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 12:45:58 AM »
  I would also suggest Shumway's "Longrifles of Note" articles (2vols.) that had been published in Muzzle Blasts. Very affordable with good information.

SC

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 01:36:46 AM »
I concur with you both.  A person will add other books to his collection as need and time (money) allow, but these are profoundly valuable sources.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 02:01:12 AM »
I agree as well.  Excellent books all!
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 04:53:24 AM »
Just as a reminder, most of the books (if not almost ALL) published since 1930s on the subject of the Kentucky Rifle are listed in the ALR Library.
Here is the link:

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?board=98.0

Offline HIB

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 06:46:56 AM »
Gentlemen,    Don't forget the Kentucky Rifle Association's 'Selected Articles from the KRA Bulletin Vol 1 - 30' published by the Kentucky Rifle Foundation a few years ago.  This collection of in house research addresses a number of the problems found in Kindig's book and enhances and/or continues many other of the early research efforts. The majority of the articles have never been available to the general public before. It's my understanding there are less than 75 copies left.    HIB

Offline smshea

• www.scottshearifles.com
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 03:51:09 AM »
Some guy wrote a great book on Lancaster Co. Rifles, cant remember his name ...Wayne...something?