Author Topic: Need help with off hand shooting  (Read 4533 times)

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Need help with off hand shooting
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2023, 07:37:08 PM »
Back about a hundred years ago when I only shot off hand I always had my favorite rifle leaning by the doorway between kitchen drinking room. I would pic that rifle up and aim on a spot on a wall 50% of the times I passed. Then in the winter when it was too cold to shoot out side, I slipped a piece of shrink tube on the sear and would (dry fire the triggers) on that spot many times every day. I thought it helped .

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2023, 08:09:36 PM »
I've seen at lot of clays shooters automatically assume a shotgun stance when approaching off-hand rifle shooting. The shotgun stance makes the body lean into the target  and become a swivel mechanism whereas the rifle stance makes the body an erector set. If you shoot a lot of clays, that may be the problem.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2023, 11:10:43 PM »
That "clays" stance or one very similar is used when shooting heavy recoil rifles, like the NE guns on dangerous game. For accurate standing shooting  as close to the Olympic style of "standing shooting", if possible, will usually give the best results.
I say "if possible"  as some of us with back trouble cannot stand that way.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2023, 11:44:48 PM »
I always thought that " clays " stance was best in a hunting type situation when you might be required to make a moving shot. You can swing and follow through better with that stance\hold. IMHO.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2023, 04:08:09 AM »
That too. It is a terrific recoil absorber. If my MLs kicked, that's the stance I would use. ::)
Daryl

Offline alacran

« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2023, 03:16:17 PM »
I've seen at lot of clays shooters automatically assume a shotgun stance when approaching off-hand rifle shooting. The shotgun stance makes the body lean into the target  and become a swivel mechanism whereas the rifle stance makes the body an erector set. If you shoot a lot of clays, that may be the problem.
I shot nothing but Skeet and Sporting Clays for over ten years. My shotgun stance is nothing like that. It is a natural stance with my left foot pointed in the direction I expect the bird to fly. The back is upright and relaxed, and the gun is down off my shoulder. It doesn't come up until I see the bird. This translates well to shooting wild birds in the field.
If I am moving and a bird flushes, I step in the direction of the bird with my gun going up at the same time. the shot is taken as the gun comes to the shoulder. Nothing to think about except to watch the bird.
I have one rifle and one smoothbore which I hold the way Daryl holds his rifle. They are too short and light to hold any other way.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline wolf

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2023, 04:11:27 PM »
its like this, you are flinching. and it only takes a slight flinch to be way off target. it is a mental thing, that is what you have to overcome. one thing i tell people that sometimes helps a lot is to count 1-2-3 when pressing the trigger, of course you will not get past one before the gun goes off. but it makes you concentrate. always put it in your mind that you will not move that front sight off the target. hope this helps,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 03:26:35 PM by wolf »
I have never "harvested" a critter but I have killed quite a few,,,,,,,,,,,

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2023, 04:57:51 PM »
One of the biggest challenges is flinching and anticipation your shot. That’s a game wrecker, but not unique to just shooting off-hand. So you are probably conscious of that.
Another focus is on holding the gun upright. Kanting the gun ( tilting it outward or inward) will throw your shot to one side or the other, whichever angle your tilting it to.
Stance is talked about ad infinitum. I was recently told after a match that my stance is wrong and that I lean back too much. This was right after I beat the gentleman in our club shoot and came in third place.
To me, it’s just following the basics but most importantly it’s about relaxing, focusing, not anticipating the shot ( biggest issue for me) and follow through.
I am certainly no expert on the matter and I am still learning. These are just some things that help me.

Offline Horton

• Starting Member
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2024, 07:28:54 AM »
It is important to stress that an offhand rifle be sighted in offhand. I’ve watched a good shooter practice for an hour off the bench every week for years trying to dial in his gear and load. He never was in the running for a medal. You can’t exactly replicate the same head position, and you have many unconscious visual cues good or bad you’ve got to learn how to do the dance on your feet. I don’t know what part of Missouri you’re in but we have a weekly offhand match in southwest Missouri. If you’re interested.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2024, 10:05:03 PM »
With all of my rifles sighted on off a bench, they hit exactly the same when I shoot them offhand, or sitting elbow rest.
When shooting off the bench, I hold the forend the same as when shooting offhand, but rest the back of my hand on the sand bag.
The result is identical point of impact. This also works with ALL of my CF rifles. No rear bag is used.
Daryl

Offline alacran

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2024, 05:06:24 PM »
With all of my rifles sighted on off a bench, they hit exactly the same when I shoot them offhand, or sitting elbow rest.
When shooting off the bench, I hold the forend the same as when shooting offhand, but rest the back of my hand on the sand bag.
The result is identical point of impact. This also works with ALL of my CF rifles. No rear bag is used.
Exactly? You mean you shoot the same groups offhand as you do of a bench, or are you saying the center of your groups are approximately where the center of your bench shot groups are?
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Daryl

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2024, 08:01:41 PM »
"they hit exactly the same" Of course I was saying point of impact. No one shoots the same group size in any other position
compared to bench. No one.
When testing double rifles for barrel regulation, the Brits use a standing bench, but holding the rifle just as if
shooting offhand. They rest the back of the barrels-holding hand on a sand bag, exactly the same as I do sitting
at a bench. The POI's are identical to shooting offhand.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 09:04:41 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline Carney Pace

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2024, 01:56:04 AM »
Something Flintlock shooters especially new ones will do is to shift there eye they are sighting with when the trigger is pulled to follow the fall of the frizzen.  They will not know they are doing it.
A test is to take there flintlock dummy load it ( no powder) hand it back and watch the muzzle.  It will usually move the direction of the dominant eye.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2024, 08:46:46 PM »
Right handed shooters flinch to the right and low. Left handed shooters flinch to the left and low. As far as I can "see", this has nothing to do with looking at the
frizzen, but in flinching, as in "shirking the shot" or "shrinking from the blow", both 19th century verbiage.
Daryl

Offline retired fella

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2024, 04:51:32 AM »
I agree  that dryfiring is probably the best exercise you can do other than actual live fire.  When dryfiring I always try to hold on target for 3-5 seconds after trigger pull.  Another exercise is to do isometrics by shouldering your rifle and putting the barrel under a shelf or  clothes rack and pushing up and holding.  Be careful of your sights.

Offline Tenmile

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2024, 06:04:40 PM »
One thing that will help is a rifle made for offhand. I  built my offhand flintlock with drop and cast-off to fit me. When I bring it to my shoulder I don’t have to bend my head or twist at all. My cheek is right on the cheekrest. I am considerably more advanced in age than you but I shot offhand until 2 shoulder surgeries stopped it. All the advice given here is good. Practice every chance you get and remember what 1/16” movement of the barrel does at 50 yds.
Lynn

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2024, 08:02:44 PM »
Dry firing and filming your shooting sequence live as mentioned above are excellent ways to improve your consistency.  A couple of additional thoughts.  Set yourself up facing your target with your rifle held down at waist level - then close your eyes and mount your rifle in your shooting position on your shoulder with cheek on the stock keeping your eyes closed - then open your eyes and check your sight alignment on the target.  You may benefit from adjusting your body position in relation to the target.  If you are compensating by twisting your upper body at the waist, you may be adding extra stress to your sight alignment efforts.  The other item you might consider is breathing control.  Breathe in and out a couple of times and mount your rifle as you breathe in the third time.  You have about 15 +/- seconds of optimum oxygen to give you the most stable hold.  Holding much longer will often result in more movement as your body continues to work to maintain position with the weight of the rifle.  If you are shooting competitively, rather than trying to hold for an extended time while chasing the 10 ring taking the rifle down and remounting may produce better results.  Maybe also skip the caffeine the day of your shoot.  Mostly just have fun.

Offline Bill in Md

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2024, 04:01:04 PM »
Flint longrifles are meant to be shot off hand....My hunting rifle has never been shot on a bag or a bench. For initial sight in I lean against a tree at about 12 yards and zero in there....To stay in practice with my form I will get real close to the target, maybe 8 paces. I will shoot off-hand until the balls are touching and then work my way back until my groups are tight for the chosen distance.....For me this has really helped as I am a ground hunter/stalker and do not have the luxury of a rest to lean my gun on while hunting in the thicketts.....

I built cast off into my gun and that also helps as does having a proper trigger pull. Many guns are to long for the shooters. A lot of good advice above. I like having a silver front sight as others do. Shoulder your rifle often. It should raise to eye as though it was not there. Outside of the sights, my longrifle is shot and hunted just like my longbows which makes them very effective on game.
The choice for mankind lies between freedom and happiness and for the great bulk of mankind, happiness is better.