Author Topic: The cart and the horse.  (Read 560 times)

Offline Swampyankee

• Starting Member
The cart and the horse.
« on: February 15, 2024, 07:26:27 PM »
 Finally got the stain on the horse, the nose cap was a slight problem which needed a touch of glue to repair the mortise. This Investarms used a pin to secure the nose cap instead of the screw I've seen pictures of on other Hawkens. This pin was installed askew of the center line of the stock, mistake or they had a reason, don't know myself, but it made driving it out problematic and left the nose cap loose anyway.  Found the proper screw in my junk fastener draw (holding onto all that small $#@* finally paid off) and will be replacing the pin with the screw.
 The horse's color is dark indeed but it's not anything that'll effect accuracy. Tomorrow I'll but some poly on it and call it good.
The horse is on the left, the cart is on the right. :P

Offline Daryl

Re: The cart and the horse.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2024, 07:39:01 PM »
I think I'd be scraping or sanding that dark one back a bit. It will get darker yet with oil on it.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Swampyankee

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2024, 09:36:16 PM »
Yeah, the more I look at it...

Now halted between two opinions (my own), sand it down some and add a coat of either the base coat (cherry) or go another direction and coat it with honey oak. I read somewhere that you could imitate the finish originally use by staining with cherry and walnut, in that order. I guess it didn't account for the wood being some kind of European species.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2024, 11:53:25 PM »
Scrape and sand, then use maybe a thinned light maple stain.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.