Author Topic: Sister of the 'KIP' gun  (Read 2120 times)

Offline B.Habermehl

Sister of the 'KIP' gun
« on: December 28, 2009, 06:40:09 AM »
Having had the privlige of examining a sister of the Kip gun in Shumway's book, I decided to build another sister.  I had the chance to see two guns obviously by the same hand. One had a Dutch lock and hardware. The other had a French lock and guard. Both guns were obviously built from second use parts. 
  My question is how many French fusees had brass furniture vs, iron.  The gun I examined had a French iron guard and a locally forged iron butplate.  My tastes run twards brass.  I would like to build a historically plausible sister to these guns,  But I would prefer to use brass for the mounts and a French lock.  So My question is Iron vs. Brass for the furniture...   
BJH

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Sister of the 'KIP' gun
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 03:31:06 PM »
Probably more brass than iron as brass mounts were cheaper. Having said that I have the remnants of a 1740's French trade gun that was probably on the lower end and it's iron mounted.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?