Author Topic: A unique sliding patchbox  (Read 996 times)

Offline WKevinD

A unique sliding patchbox
« on: May 14, 2024, 08:07:07 PM »
Last week I had posted here showing an interesting 1/2 stock  Jaeger that showed up in the shop. https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=81146.0

I could not find the release for the sliding lid until this Sunday.

The lid must be pushed down at the front and then slid back. There is a male notch in the lid and a female notch in the dovetail in the stock with a thin flat spring to hold pressure.

Never seen one like it, thought it was pretty slick and has kept the original lid with the gun.

Lid Locked

Lid released

Cavity

Underside of lid, notice spring and male notch
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline dadybear1

Re: A unique sliding patchbox
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2024, 09:58:52 PM »
INGENIOUS AND BEAUTIFUL--THANKS

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2024, 10:51:01 PM »
Nifty
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline PIKELAKE

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2024, 12:53:15 AM »
Many years ago I came across a rifle built by Jud Brennan that had a patch box release very similar to that one. I sure wish I had bought that rifle. Walnut I remember.  JZ
JOHN ZUREKI

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2024, 09:27:27 PM »
Saw Ron Ehlert use a similar release on a gun he made years ago.  Not sure where he had seen it, but I feel sure it was from an original jaeger.  He was quite fond of them.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2024, 02:16:07 AM »
Saw Ron Ehlert use a similar release on a gun he made years ago.  Not sure where he had seen it, but I feel sure it was from an original jaeger. He was quite fond of them.

Jeff

Me too. Especially these out of the ordinary pieces!
Artistry and innovation with engineering.

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Longknife

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2024, 02:26:54 PM »
That rifle is quite unique in many ways! At a recent gun show I was able to handle a nice Jaeger rifle with a unique friction/spring latch on the patchbox. The lid was made of antler. The 75 cal. barrel had very goog rifling and the gun appeared operational....LK 
Ed Hamberg