Author Topic: Brass tumbler?  (Read 809 times)

Offline Asahi1234

• Starting Member
Brass tumbler?
« on: April 29, 2024, 08:38:14 PM »
I am putting together my Kibler Woodsrunner.  I have a tubler for cleaning brass for 45acp,9mm. My question is can I use my tumbler with walnut shells? Will it not ruin the ridges and lines of the brass pieces?  Thanks for you answering my questions.

Offline 44-henry

Re: Brass tumbler?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2024, 09:20:22 PM »
I wouldn't do that. The walnut hulls aren't overly abrasive and will do a good job of removing tarnish and lightly cleaning the metal, but not much else. If you moved up to something more abrasive like ceramic media it will do more, but that is where you will round over edges and take out all your detail. Really there is no shortcut that works well. Your best approach is using files to clean up/refine the surface, followed by wet and dry sandpaper backed with your file in increasingly finer grits. Tumblers and buffing wheels are a quick way of ruining your work.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2024, 12:31:22 AM »
Bad idea, do this:

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2024, 12:35:03 AM »
I tumble lock plates, lock parts, brass furniture, steel furniture, sterling silver in my cartridge tumbler with stainless steel pins and dish soap. Works great for the final finish after filing and sanding.

Here's a link to the pins https://stainlesstumblingmedia.com/shop/stainless-tumbling-media-refresh.html

This post shows some silver I tumbled this way. Look at the end of the tutorial.https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=77900.0

Best regards
Rolf

Offline Asahi1234

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2024, 05:49:09 PM »
Thanks you  for all response.  I will hand polish  the brass.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2024, 05:59:28 PM »
Just curious but you mention tumbler but would one of those case vibrator,s work?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2024, 08:56:29 PM »
I’m just glad it wasn’t about making a flintlock tumbler out of brass.  ;D

I think if it’s safe for modern casings and doesn’t change dimensions it should be fine for polishing flintlock gun parts.
Andover, Vermont