Author Topic: Unknown Rifle with Fancy Patchbox... Who Made This Rifle?  (Read 1178 times)

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
Unknown Rifle with Fancy Patchbox... Who Made This Rifle?
« on: May 25, 2024, 06:37:17 PM »
I purchased this attractive rifle with curly walnut stock thinking it was a later gun by Benjamin A Davenport of Kentucky, who worked in the Bardstown School style. I have an earlier signed rifle by Davenport with a similar style patchbox, butt architecture, and longer 2-screw tang. When I got the rifle, I noticed it has a partial signature, remnants of a first initial and last name. The partial signature seems to have a capital "G" for the first initial, and a short last name beginning with (probably) a "K" but possibly an "R." Unfortunately, that ruled out its being a Davenport rifle.

I've scanned reference books, mostly on Virginia and West Virginia, but can't find a similar rifle. A John McCamant rifle has a related cheek style with two thin incised lines that taper slightly together going forward, and a forestock inlay in the general style of this one. His side plate, if its extended "wings" were removed, would look something like this side plate. But not much else is similar, and this patchbox certainly isn't one of his National Road style boxes.

Any ideas on who might have made this rifle would be appreciated.

Shelby Gallien

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
Re: Unknown Rifle with Fancy Patchbox... Who Made This Rifle?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2024, 10:14:37 PM »
The first letter looks like a small G or a capital J. The second letter is a K.  There were some Kee gunmakers in WV.  Their rifles varied in style.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2024, 06:40:43 AM »
In Jerry Noble's huge "Gun Trade in America" of all known/published names of American gunmakers in the muzzle loading era [plus a few more], I found three references to "Kee" gunsmiths. One didn't fit the timeframe, but two were mid-1800s gunmakers in Pocahontas County, WV, Joshua and Samuel Kee. No specific dates were offered, nor were descriptions of their work provided. 

Does anyone know of any type of references with data on the "Kee" gunsmiths, or where images or descriptions of their work might be found?

Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: May 28, 2024, 06:52:53 PM by Tanselman »

Offline Avlrc

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2024, 06:46:22 PM »
Samuel & Joshua were gunsmiths.  Joshua's father, George, might have been a gunsmith.

https://hampshirecountylongrifle.blogspot.com/search?q=kee

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2024, 07:33:09 PM »
Mark,

Thank you for the web site address. All the guns have some differences. I've looked more closely at the worn signature on this rifle, and it does appear to be a "J" for the first initial, and "K" for the last name, but there is no middle initial. This rifle also has "mixed metal" mountings, with brass butt plate, guard and rear pipe, but iron pipes farther out. If this is a "Kee" rifle, it seems he liked to copy other regional gunmakers' patchboxes that he saw. My patchbox has no engraving, but a similar hinge, and the cheek star is center-mounted and about the same size and shape. Addictive to try to figure out these old rifles... makes the hobby more interesting and fun.

Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: May 28, 2024, 06:15:18 AM by Tanselman »

Offline Avlrc

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2024, 06:03:23 AM »
I agree trying to decipher the mystery is part of the fun.