Author Topic: New Member- old gun  (Read 806 times)

Offline Old and Grumpy

• Starting Member
New Member- old gun
« on: June 01, 2024, 05:50:42 PM »
Just joined. I live in Southern Nevada. I fell down the black powder hole a few years back. I build from kits and re work junk guns I find in the shops. Don't worry I never refinish a true antique. Preservation not restoration. -- Other day I was in my LGS. They had just taken in a "Ohio"? long rifle. .36 or .32 flint by H Burns. It's in very good shape except the lock is frozen.Thus the good price.  The only pictures I can find on line are all cap lock not flint. Any ideas of the time frame these came from? I don't have pictures yet.  Thanks for the help. O&G

Offline JTR

• member 2
Re: New Member- old gun
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2024, 06:08:05 PM »
Good Morning, and welcome to this forum.
For your maker, Sellers American Gunsmiths book lists a Henry C. Burns, Dayton and Lewisburg Ohio, Percussion, 1850 / 1890.

Pictures of the gun would certainly help.
Welcome again, John
John Robbins

Offline Old and Grumpy

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2024, 06:12:33 PM »
Thanks. Pictures will come.

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2024, 12:41:24 AM »
Welcome to the fourm . There is a lot of info here. If Sellers has the time frame correct for H. Burns (1850-1890 ) it probably was not made as a flintlock  .Pictures will tell the tale. Thanks for jumping onboard.  Jim
JIM

Offline Old and Grumpy

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2024, 02:57:44 PM »
That is what I thought. A conversion. The pan looks too bright. Can see on the inside where the patch box was re hinged. This one has a lot more "bling" than any pictures I have found. Pictures will come. --- Some of my other projects.- Lets see if they post.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2024, 03:25:11 PM by Tim Crosby »

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2024, 06:18:45 PM »
Hey O&G you’ve made my day, now I know I’m not alone. I also have both of those pistols. They were given to me years ago when their owners upgraded to better firearms. I got the short barreled pistol first, and decided I needed to learn to solder on an under-rib so I shortened the stock to a more traditional half stock length, and proceed to solder on an under-rib, and ramrod pipe. I had made a couple of nose caps for friends rifles so that would have been the simple fix, but I was beginning to think these pistols could be a good cheap learning tool. Boy, was I right. I poured my first nose cap of pewter on that little pistol.

The long barreled pistol was a stalled project of a friend, that somehow had cracked the stock in the bottom of the ramrod groove. It became my “trade pistol” by the addition of a round .67 smoothbore barrel, a flintlock to replace the old percussion lock, and a tapered ramrod to accommodate the larger bore. Both guns got internals for their locks from CVA rifles that had bridles, and flies. It is so great to have guns you don’t have a ton of money tied up in you can let pilgrims without worrying about damage to the gun, or the shooter.

Hungry Horse

Offline Old and Grumpy

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2024, 06:37:01 PM »
It's fun. But this is drifting from collecting antiques to building. At some point I will post more of them under Gun Building.