Author Topic: Finished my Woodsrunner  (Read 558 times)

Offline clevdan

• Starting Member
Finished my Woodsrunner
« on: May 30, 2024, 06:25:20 AM »
Hello all,

I've been viewing the forum for several months now and have been waffling back and forth about posting pictures of my first build. My wife bought me a Kibler Woodsrunner kit as an early birthday present back at the end of January. I've taken my time on it, trying not to rush. A few days were spent looking at the bare stock and then I finally came to the realization that it just wasn’t gonna carve itself. I’ve been an Allison Transmission Instructor/Mechanic all my life (woodworker I am not) and this is my first ever attempt at relief carving. I look at some of the carving work shown on the forum and I realize I have nowhere near the carving skill some of Y’all have. But then again, this is my first attempt which just means I have lots of room for improvement on my next one.

The rifle is a .45 cal and I bought the fancy maple upgrade for the stock. It is stained with one coat of Kibler’s iron nitrate and three coats of Chambers Traditional Oil Stock finish. They say with iron nitrate that you’re going to get the stock color that you get. I know some guys like the darker stocks but I had my fingers crossed hoping for a lighter color. In the house it looks pretty brown but when you get it out in the sunlight the color comes alive! So I am REALLY happy the way the finish came out. And the finish even has a chameleon type effect when you look at it from different angles. I tried to upload a short video to show it but apparently that's not allowed.

Anyway, I finally finished the rifle on the 22nd, just in time for my 63rd birthday on the 24th. So here is my Woodsrunner.

Offline Daryl

Re: Finished my Woodsrunner
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2024, 06:44:33 AM »
I personally would be ecstatic if I had put that rifle together.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline clevdan

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2024, 07:07:04 AM »
Thank you very much Daryl! Don't get me wrong, I am VERY happy with the way the rifle turned out. But all too often I am my own worst critic. I see things I could have done better. And showing my work to friends and family is a little different than showing it to guys that have been doing this for who knows how many years. But again, thank you for the kind words!

Offline Enfield

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2024, 11:23:02 AM »
The rifle looks great and authetic, because I doubt that all rifles in that time had a very perfect carving.
Be proud, its your...

Offline mony

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2024, 12:50:23 PM »
Kibler kits are a great way to start. Not nearly as intimidating as a plank of wood. Nicely done.
Dave