Author Topic: 1/2 stock SMR?  (Read 919 times)

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
1/2 stock SMR?
« on: June 04, 2024, 12:08:32 AM »
I managed to injure my left shoulder a few weeks ago & probably won't get better. Probably needs surgery after my right knee replacement. Until then I need a light rifle for off-hand use. Just bought a 36" 13/16" .45 barrel & already have a pretty blank from Ed Cain. The problem is that stock blank isn't long enough for a 3/4 stock (thus the 36" barrel). All of my furniture is hard made & the lock is an Emig tuned Durs Egg that I got cheap. My question is, would a half stock SMR be PC? I can see it if a full stock got wrecked & needed to be restocked or pieced back together, but would all the other kids make fun of me? I'm a very sensitive guy you know.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Online Daryl

Re: 1/2 stock SMR?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2024, 02:00:45 AM »
Fill your boots Roger. NP. ;D
I'm sure Cdis Cove Fiddler would agree.
A wooden under-rib would seal the deal.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Roger B

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2024, 04:37:04 AM »
Thanks, Daryl! I have a strip of ash from another project that should make a good under rib.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2024, 04:45:15 AM »
Roger, the latest book by Randal Pierce,Kentucky Rifles of the Great Smoky Mountains, has several true half stock rifles along the lines of what you want to build.
Go for it ,bro.
Best wishes on your project.
Dave

Offline Gtrubicon

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2024, 05:11:39 AM »
Here is mine. It’s a 45, gm barrel and Durs egg lock.

Offline alacran

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2024, 12:21:54 PM »
Roger, you know that we have many more reasons to make fun of you than the way your rifle looks LOL.
One of my favorite rifles was a half stock SMR. I kick myself for having sold it.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Online okawbow

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2024, 04:53:34 PM »

dota

My version of the Kibbler SMR with persimmon under rib, pewter nose cap. Weighs about 6 1/2# in .40 caliber.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2024, 05:10:51 PM »
Wow.  That sure looks nice.

Offline bowkill

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2024, 09:10:02 PM »
I love a half stock smr. And like a 40 cal, one of my favorit cal. Here is one i built a couple years ago. Kinds plain but light and super skinny..

μολὼν λαβέ (Come and take them)

Offline duca

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2024, 10:01:27 PM »
They all look really good!!!
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline Roger B

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2024, 04:41:43 AM »
Alacran hurt my self esteem & I had to spend the day in my space ::)! Thanks for all the great examples!
Roger B.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2024, 04:55:06 PM »
Roger,
For what it's worth, I have seen several half stock Gillespie rifles that were originally full stocks. Also other half-stock SMR's that were original full stocks. I have to assume the original full stocks were broken off during normal use and rather than restocking they were just converted. Just an FYI none of these rifles used wooden under ribs, all were steel. Even though I have never seen a pewter nose cap on an original Gillespie, most of the converted half-stock rifles had poured nose caps.
Dennis

I managed to injure my left shoulder a few weeks ago & probably won't get better. Probably needs surgery after my right knee replacement. Until then I need a light rifle for off-hand use. Just bought a 36" 13/16" .45 barrel & already have a pretty blank from Ed Cain. The problem is that stock blank isn't long enough for a 3/4 stock (thus the 36" barrel). All of my furniture is hard made & the lock is an Emig tuned Durs Egg that I got cheap. My question is, would a half stock SMR be PC? I can see it if a full stock got wrecked & needed to be restocked or pieced back together, but would all the other kids make fun of me? I'm a very sensitive guy you know.
Roger B.
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Roger B

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2024, 09:30:56 PM »
Thanks Dennis. That's important information for me!
Roger B