Author Topic: After neutralizing Barrel Brown, 3 days later barrel is gritty with rust dust  (Read 1771 times)

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Did not read the replies. One question. Are you carding between coats? If you let the rust build up and just add more solution it will soak into the rust build up and cause after rust. Its not supposed to be a built up layer on the steel.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline hortonstn

After a month of waiting on rust to stop it finally has I wiped it down with Remington rim-oil and after 3 days no rust but a beautiful finish

Offline jstedfast

• Starting Member
Did not read the replies. One question. Are you carding between coats? If you let the rust build up and just add more solution it will soak into the rust build up and cause after rust. Its not supposed to be a built up layer on the steel.

Yes, I carded between each coat of Barrel Brown.

The barrel is at a point now where there is barely any hint of "rust dust" wiping it down anymore. I'm not sure if it's because I heated up and coated it in a liberal coat of motor oil (got it hotter the second time than I did the first) or if it's just because I've been wiping it down and adding a new coat of Ballistol every 24 hours.

Offline Daryl

I have never heard of this "heating" of the barrel before. Seems that did not help, as it still took a month to stop.
Just wiping and using WD40 on my barrels after browning with Track's Laural Forge, they all stopped rusting in a few days.
No carding was involved.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline bpd303

I had to chuckle while reading this. I'm not a gun builder but have restored countless old guns, which many times included browning all the steel parts.
 I have used just about every process (solution) used to get a nice browned finish, including putting the parts in the shower letting them rust naturally from the humidity.

What made me chuckle is as a Blacksmith, if you ask 6 Master Blacksmith's a question about fixing a problem, you will get at least 10 answers (all correct) on how to fix it.
Randy aka bpd303
« Last Edit: June 05, 2024, 09:29:46 PM by bpd303 »
Randy aka bpd303        Arkansas Ozarks

Train for tomorrow, as you never know what it will bring to the fight.
I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sails. ~ Semper Paratus

Offline Jerry V Lape

I just finished browning another barrel.  Finished prepping the metal with 600grit sandpaper first and coated it with Dangler's rust solution.  Total mess it got too heavy in 12 hours land I had to refinish the barrel which took about 3 hours starting with 220grit.   Second try was for 6 hours and carded with a soft wire handbrush.  Repeated that 3 more times, neutralized with baking soda water, put the rifle in the AZ sun for about 20 minutes to bring it to too hot to handle without gloves.  This was mostly just to be sure the water was evaporated.  Wiped it with liberal coat of BreakFree clip.  It is now a week old and no additional rusting has occurred.  I do think the wire hand brush (from Brownell's) is the correct carding tool. 

As an aside, I don't think Ballistol is a strong enough anti rust oil for this process.  Thin synthetic motor oil would likely be good too.  Rusting test performed by a source I don't recall found BreakFree to be a superior anti rust oil. 

Offline Daryl

Seems to me, Br.Fr. CLP was invented to: edited:: to keep rifles functioning in Nam.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V