Author Topic: Bullet board or cut patches?  (Read 11036 times)

northmn

Re: Bullet board or cut patches?
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2010, 01:55:33 AM »
How do you load the paper cartridges?

DP

Daryl

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2010, 06:46:31 PM »
GHall - the smaller the bore, the higher the pressure. At some point, the gas pressure will get past the paper wadded up, start it on fire, cause innacuracy, that sort of thing.  I don't know of anyone who's tried them smaller than .54. They were tried a few years back by a board memeber in his Kodiak .54 and he reported same qccuracy as patched ball. I know for a fact they wonderful accuracy in a 12 bore, 16 bore and a 14 bore rifles.

DP- you bite and tear off the smaller end, then shove it into the bore, smaller end down. By the time you get the wiping stickout, the powder has dribbled down to the breech. I then choke up on the rod to start the ball into the muzzle as it's quite snug, then shove it down onto the powder, wadding the paper between powder and ball. At the shot, only confette blows out onto the ground, none of which are on fire.  After each shot, Bruce S. ended up with the entire tube from his 12 bore, with rifling marks imprinted on the paper tube. My 14 bore left me with confette - small pieces, as I noted.  with practise, I was able to load and fire an aimed shot in 8 seconds after the first. I was able to shoot 10 ctgs. without loss of accuracy before loading became difficult, then loaded and fired a 3 dram load with sopping wet cloth patch. This cleaned the bore allowing another 10 shots with paper ctgs.  Paper ctgs. have been used by the various militaries of the World since the 18th century and even carried on into the black powder and bullet military pre-fixed ctg. era, ie: civil war.

I saw a flim on TV a few years ago of some guy who was claimed to be an antique weapons expert. He had a table of muskets, Bess's I think they were. The blokes he was teaching to shoot, were Bikers.  He showed them to bite off the powder end, pour the powder in, tear off the ball and shove that in, then stuff the rest of the paper in on top of the ball, claiming the paper above the ball build pressure to ensure full power of the charge and improve accuracy. Such are some of the experts on TV today.

BrownBear

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2010, 07:42:30 PM »
I could easily get by without the bullet board on big game hunts.  Just don't need the speed or convenience on what's usually a one-shot day.  I carry one anyway, a 3-holer.  But I've got it on a whang that's tied to the base of my bag strap.  Shove it in it's own pocket in the bag along with the excess whang, and there's no tangling in the brush and no tendency to collect dirt.  Yet when I load quick with it, I don't have to worry about dropping it in the dirt or putting it somewhere while I make the second shot.  Same for my powder measure, as a matter of fact.

But for hunting small game in the winter with lots of shooting, I wouldn't be without one, especially for small caliber.  No way I can load small calibers without one, unless I take my gloves off.  And I still drop those tiny little balls and patches all over the place.  I've got two 6-hole blocks for my 32 cal and same for my 36 cal.  And on good days, I have to take a break at some point and reload them in order to finish the hunt.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 07:44:38 PM by BrownBear »

northmn

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2010, 09:04:03 PM »
May try the boards for my 25.  I see you are loading rifles like muskets with paper cartridge and using the paper for a patch.  I used to play with them with smootbores and even greased the ball end.  One of those for a "fast" reload makes sense.  May play with one for my 58 rifle if I ever finish it.  I carry my ball and patches in a PC 22 LR plastic box with a sliding lid for all hunting.  Used to carry a ball bag, but do not carry that much stuff anymore.  A loading block with a short starter attached by a thong also works, but can carry some dirt if one is not careful.

DP

Daryl

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2010, 06:53:38 AM »
8 seconds is a pretty fast for a re-load, aim and fire.  It might be advantageous or even too slow with a big bear? 

BrownBear

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2010, 09:29:56 AM »
....or even too slow with a big bear? 

Way slow for coastal brown bears like I have around here.  If they're close enough to shoot, they can be on you in about 1/4 that time, i.e., a couple of seconds.  I had a thoroughly leaked off sow cut 50 yards to about 20 feet in three big hops, and as little time as it took me to see her and raise my gun.  Scared the peewaddling out of me, but thankfully she stopped.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2010, 03:49:21 PM »
Just carry your bullet board around your neck and inside your clothing.  Easy enough to get to.

I use Oil, Sperm Whale, Neatsfoot etc. You figure a way to make this work then let me know.
I don't like tallow on my clothing either. Bullet boards are grossly overrated, I have not tried using one since I was a teenager. I would sew the patch on the ball first. Yes its HC.

If some really needs a fast reload they should use paper cartridges, which really are fast or a double barreled gun.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2010, 04:37:26 PM »
Just carry your bullet board around your neck and inside your clothing.  Easy enough to get to.

I use Oil, Sperm Whale, Neatsfoot etc. You figure a way to make this work then let me know.
I don't like tallow on my clothing either. Bullet boards are grossly overrated, I have not tried using one since I was a teenager. I would sew the patch on the ball first. Yes its HC.

If some really needs a fast reload they should use paper cartridges, which really are fast or a double barreled gun.

Dan

I already told you how to make it work.  What you do with the information is up to you, Dan.  It works for me the way I do things.  I don't worry about bullet lube getting on my clothes, I'm out hunting - I'm going to get dirty, that's just part of it.