Author Topic: Brown Bess Lockplate Modification  (Read 567 times)

Offline JLSawyer

Brown Bess Lockplate Modification
« on: June 09, 2024, 04:29:42 PM »
Hello all. I have a Brown Bess musket that I’m going to turn into Committee of Safety musket. As part of that process I want to remove the lock markings. My question is do I need to weld over the Stowe 1776 and the crown GR before beginning the filing/polishing process? The Stowe 1776 is fairly deep. Thoughts and help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Best Regards,

Josh Sawyer

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Brown Bess Lockplate Modification
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2024, 04:50:04 PM »
Hi Josh,
Your lock was made by Pedersoli despite the "Stowe 1776", which was a bicentennial thing.  You need to check how deep the slot for the sear spring is.  On some Pedersolis the slot is so deep that if you file away the lettering, you will come close to breaking through the lock plate. It is not as easy as filing off the lettering because you have to preserve the curve of the lock plate surface and avoid filing a flat.  That means the edges can get very thin.  On Pedersolis, I usually file the markings down a bit and then weld them over so as not to create a raised lump of weld.  Make sure you use mild steel rod so it does not harden during the welding process. 

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline JLSawyer

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2024, 05:37:42 PM »
Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I remember reading some things you have posted in the past regarding this. Check your messages in the Muzzleloading Forum. I had sent you a message awhile back asking you some specific questions about the gun itself along with pictures in the hopes you could help me identify. Would love to get your thoughts on it.

I know the Stowe is just something Dixie did as a tribute to the man. I know it’s completely make believe and have every intention of getting rid of it.

Thanks again for your help.
Best Regards,

Josh Sawyer

Offline Tumbledown

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2024, 01:33:08 PM »
PLEASE do NOT ruin that lock. They were a limited production made to honor the curator of a museum at West Point. Stowe was a personal friend of Navy Arms owner Val Forget, these were made for some of the Navy Arms Besses produced in the early 1970s after Stowe passed.

I'll try to get more details, but a web search will also turn up some info.

Offline JLSawyer

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2024, 01:55:39 PM »
Thank you for the reply. I know the full story on why the lock was stamped Stowe. Unfortunately it is not historically accurate at all. If you or someone else has a period correct Bess lock and would like to trade me for it, I would be open to that but if not, then it will be removed and made correct.
Best Regards,

Josh Sawyer

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2024, 10:38:41 PM »
PLEASE do NOT ruin that lock. They were a limited production made to honor the curator of a museum at West Point. Stowe was a personal friend of Navy Arms owner Val Forget, these were made for some of the Navy Arms Besses produced in the early 1970s after Stowe passed.

I'll try to get more details, but a web search will also turn up some info.
That lock was ruined the minute they put non-historical markings on it.
Psalms 144

Offline foxm2015

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2024, 10:46:45 PM »
An option for a secondary / back-up lock may be Paul Ackermann at AckermannArms.com

All the best on your journey.