Author Topic: Rupp, Kuntz , both or other  (Read 708 times)

Offline jdm

• member 2
Rupp, Kuntz , both or other
« on: September 02, 2024, 04:42:36 PM »
I've had this for years and have puzzled over who the maker was,It has been posted here before  but never really been talked about.The patch boxwith the liberty head  looks like Jacob Kuntz to me.It apears original to the gun. The lock bolt plate and toe plate  have a different style of engraving which I have seen on a rifle I felt was by John Rupp. Again these parts look original to this rifle. The but plate was filed out for a patch box with side plates . This rifle never had them. When I got this rifle thirty or so years ago the brass was so dark you could not see any engraving except the face on the lid of the box.  The lock bolt plate was broken into two pieces. There has been no wood replaced that I can see. It has two incised carved lines on either side of the tang and on both sides of the trigger guard. These are seen a lot on Rupp and Kuntz work.There is a worm inside the patch box that screws into the metal tip on the ram raod.
Do you think these were parts from both makers ? Were they selling parts to each other ? Sharing work ? Helping out a buddy ? Thoughts would be appreciated.  Jim 

« Last Edit: September 05, 2024, 03:55:59 AM by jdm »
JIM

Offline jdm

• member 2
Re: Rupp, Kuntz , both or other
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2024, 04:46:21 PM »

JIM

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2024, 05:42:52 PM »
Very interesting.  I think it's a parts gun.  The guard, sideplate and toeplate are 100% Peter Angstadt.  The buttplate appears to have been on a different rifle at some point with a different box location.  The box is much more refined and looks like John Rupp II or Kuntz.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2024, 01:12:18 AM »
Eric, Thank you.  Sometimes you just need another set of eyes to look at something. I thought it was Rupp or Kuntz who stocked the rifle . So I didn't look elsewhere . I can see Peter Angstadt in the engraving now that you brought it up. It kinda ticks me off that I wasn't more open in my research.Sometimes people see what they want to see.  I'm almost afraid to ask.  Who do you think stocked it??????   Jim
JIM

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2024, 09:49:37 PM »
Jim,

The engraving on the toe plate matches the carving on my Peter A. The "drapes" is what I have the distance of the forestock, when you turn the rifle it disappears and reappears in the light. I think Eric hit it on the head.

Buck

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2024, 04:03:33 AM »
Thanks Noel, I guess I've got a mixed breed. I've always liked this rifle . Nice lines, great liberty head .     It's good to know a little more about it.  Jim
JIM

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2024, 02:59:04 PM »
Jim,

I'll post some photos when I get a chance. It's a good rifle, it appeals to me as well.

Buck