Author Topic: Parts for Mike Rowe Locks  (Read 1862 times)

Offline Carey1974

• Starting Member
  • Northern Indiana - Sault Ste Marie, Michigan
Parts for Mike Rowe Locks
« on: March 25, 2023, 07:58:26 PM »
I just acquired a used Caywood "Type D Trade Gun"  put together by Chuck Edwards.  I think I'm in love.  Anyway, it will be used.  Probably used a lot.  Before going out and buying extra barrels (one rifled and one jug choked for turkeys), id like to make sure i can get replacement parts for the lock.  From what I read, Mike Rowe built the locks for Caywood.  I tried to find a website for Mike Rowe and Quality Locks but I can't find any info. Are they still in business?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Parts for Mike Rowe Locks
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2023, 11:11:33 PM »
I just acquired a used Caywood "Type D Trade Gun"  put together by Chuck Edwards.  I think I'm in love.  Anyway, it will be used.  Probably used a lot.  Before going out and buying extra barrels (one rifled and one jug choked for turkeys), id like to make sure i can get replacement parts for the lock.  From what I read, Mike Rowe built the locks for Caywood.  I tried to find a website for Mike Rowe and Quality Locks but I can't find any info. Are they still in business?
He can't legally make locks anymore since Danny run him off. You'll  have to buy the parts from Caywood.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2023, 03:04:26 PM »
I have Caywood locks on several of my rifles. They are smooth, very fast an spark like a welder. I ordered a couple of mainsprings an frizzen springs and a spare fly from Caywood an have them on hand just in case. If i remember correct Danny sent them out the same week I ordered them.
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Carey1974

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2023, 04:07:27 AM »
Thank you both for taking the time to reply.  I really appreciate the information.  I will get in touch with Caywood.

Offline Carey1974

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2024, 07:30:55 PM »
It is not.  It was just listed as such by SDM Pawn in Paragould, Ark.  Who were responsible for selling parts of his collection.  Perhaps Chuck could answer that question. 

Offline k varga

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2024, 07:07:59 PM »
Why can't Mike Rowe make anymore locks, i kinda remember there was some problem but how can he be stopped from working on locks ?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2024, 11:47:33 PM »
Why can't Mike Rowe make anymore locks, i kinda remember there was some problem but how can he be stopped from working on locks ?
Mike signed some sort of legalese contract with caywood when they started the business. Caywood owns the molds for those locks.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Not English

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2024, 01:50:43 AM »
Mike,

Is this the same Mike Rowe that's in or was in southern Wisconsin?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2024, 02:12:28 AM »
I don't know where he lives now. I assumed Arkansas.