Author Topic: Sheath style buttplate issues  (Read 755 times)

Offline Clear Spring Armory

• Clear Spring Armory FaceBook Page
Sheath style buttplate issues
« on: July 24, 2024, 11:31:16 PM »
Looking for some advice on tools and techniques for shaping the wood around these kind of butt plates. From what pictures I have seen of Lehigh rifles the comb line dies into the corner of the butt plate. I would think if you follow the contours of the butt plate extension on the comb down into the wood and then came forward from the side of the butt plate towards the lock area that's what you would get. But after I started getting close it seems like if I follow that last flat on the comb extension downward, that line would come out very low and not in the corner of the butt plate. And if I don't follow the angle of that flat that little wood shelf will be hard to finish. Any advice?

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Re: Sheath style buttplate issues
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2024, 01:03:08 AM »
I’ve done several. I also have photos of some originals.
Something seems to be wrong with the photo upload feature.
As soon as it clears up, I’d be glad to post them.
Not sure where you got that buttplate, but not your normal Lehigh plate. Most are very flat on the top, which eliminates most of the issue.
Be patient and I’ll try later to upload some photos.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2024, 01:31:01 AM »

Sorry, the second photo doesn’t show much.
The last 2 are an original John Rupp.
Hope this helps.

You may need a new buttplate.
In His grip,

Dane

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2024, 03:20:22 AM »
Smallpatch, thank you. I should have clarified that this is a Reeves casting that was supposed to be for a Legigh boys rifle. At least when I bought it 7 years ago that's how I remember it. But yes, I noticed it was quite high compared to most the ones I'm seeing online and am considering filing it down now. Are there flats with soft corners on the one you posted or is it round? Is that common? I guess if it's original it could be from wear. I got antsy and just continued the flats into the wood but I don't like it. Decided to get the comb and butt shaped a bit better and see what I can do with it. Hopefully there is some wood left to play with if I have to file down the buttplate

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2024, 04:38:46 AM »
I’ve got a couple of them sitting here. Give me the dimensions and I’ll see if I have one that will work.
The one you have, has little curve on the back, and way too thick and round on the return.
All I have, or have seen, are very flat on the return.
You will have a terrible time getting  the right profile on a Lehigh butt with that plate.
In His grip,

Dane

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2024, 07:13:59 AM »
I got it filed down tonight pretty flat. I may take a little bit more off of the heel but I think it's going to work. I may have taken too much wood off of the cheek side but I think I can feather it in. I may make another post as I go along with the gun to get some advice from you guys. But so far I'm pretty happy with it, it's my first Lehigh. It is a small game for my daughter and has an 11 inch LOP. So everything has been a challenge to make work.

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2024, 01:35:45 PM »
I think that is looking very good. You have the shape of the stock blending well with the butt pad.