Author Topic: Help with identifying family heirloom Longrifle  (Read 1208 times)

Offline roliver5

• Starting Member
Help with identifying family heirloom Longrifle
« on: August 21, 2024, 11:05:55 PM »
My dad recently came into possession of an old family longrifle that he remembers last seeing in the late 1930s.  It was in bad shape back then and parts are missing. We know it's not worth anything monetarily but we'd like to find out where/when it was made, if possible. Our family was from North Carolina/South Carolina before moving to Alabama in 1839. It has very nice brass and silver that I hope will help with identification.  The barrel is 39" long and the entire length is 55". The stock has been repaired and I'm sure other modifications have been done along the way. Thanks for any info you might can pass our way!

Online Stoner creek

Re: Help with identifying family heirloom Longrifle
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2024, 12:24:27 AM »
Looks a lot like the work of Wiley Higgins. A Southern gunmaker from Georgia I believe. Someone will chime in here soon and verify my opinion or improve on it.
W
« Last Edit: August 22, 2024, 12:34:06 AM by Stoner creek »
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2024, 01:29:53 AM »
 I think you are right attributing this rifle to Wiley Higgins, the elaborate metal work, and the unusual filing on the buttplate are just about as good as a signature.

Hungry Horse

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2024, 01:34:18 AM »
Here is a link to a Higgins in the library here. Lot's of similarities to your rifle.
Look closely at the top flat on the barrel, between the rear sight and the breach, as there might be a name or initials there of the maker.

Click on the link below. Don't worry, it's safe.
https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=8233.0

Here's a few more patchbox pix. Scroll down a bit. https://www.guns.com/news/2017/05/03/inside-the-collectors-corner-at-nra-atlanta-photos

John
« Last Edit: August 22, 2024, 01:44:41 AM by JTR »
John Robbins

Offline Frozen Run

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2024, 01:41:14 AM »
Cool beans!

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2024, 01:50:56 AM »
That's a great family treasure, and you're lucky to have it!
You might at some point, have someone you trust re-nail/re-attach some of the loose pieces to help keep everything intact for future generations.
John Robbins

Online Stoner creek

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2024, 04:21:50 AM »
Just a little fyi. If what you have is indeed a Higgins gun there is indeed a significant value there. How much? I don’t know, but he is a very collectible maker among collectors of Southern arms makers. Handle carefully and don’t do anything to the gun without expert, hands on advice.  Jim Parker (Bama here on ALR) would be an excellent contact.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2024, 02:40:16 PM by Stoner creek »
Stop Marxism in America

Offline 120RIR

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2024, 06:16:34 AM »
This site is where you'll find the best names in the business when it comes to stabilization, preservation, and restoration of these early rifles.  I can attest to the fact that at least one of them has participated in this thread.   ;) 

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2024, 02:41:32 PM »
They’re still out there!  Never expected an unknow Higgins to surface like this. Pretty exciting really.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline roliver5

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2024, 03:47:02 PM »
Thanks so much for all the info!  It has been sitting around for a very long time in a family member's closet and my 90-year-old dad was so excited to have it back! I appreciate all of the info and will begin researching and figuring out what to do next!  I'm looking forward to more expert replies here, too! 

Online bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2024, 05:02:17 PM »
Pretty sure that is a Higgins. Please have it looked at by someone that knows historical firearms and do not do any cleaning or fixing without getting advice from a reputable collector. I do not know where you are located or where your family is from but if you are in the south there are several people that can help you. Willey Higgins worked in Georgia and Alabama. PM me if you would like to. Thanks for sharing your family treasure.

Jim
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline roliver5

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2024, 09:07:21 PM »
This is very exciting news!  My 3rd great-grandfather lived in Covington, GA from 1825 to 1839. He certainly fits the bill for being the original owner! I live in Atlanta. Certainly, there is a legitimate expert around here somewhere that could offer some advice. I appreciate all the help!

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2024, 09:23:34 PM »
Does it appear that there was once trim around the lock that is missing?  A feature frequently used by Higgins.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2024, 10:21:44 PM »
It’s too bad Higgins didn’t keep records that survived.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2024, 10:33:48 PM »
This is very exciting news!  My 3rd great-grandfather lived in Covington, GA from 1825 to 1839. He certainly fits the bill for being the original owner! I live in Atlanta. Certainly, there is a legitimate expert around here somewhere that could offer some advice. I appreciate all the help!

I suggest you contact Bama, the guy right above your last post.
John
John Robbins

Offline roliver5

• Starting Member
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2024, 10:37:50 PM »
Will do!  Thanks!

Offline GA Turner

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2024, 11:02:03 PM »
Higgins worked for a number of years near Monticello GA which is 20 miles south of Covington. Wayne Elliott sponsored exhibition at UGA a number of years ago. Exhibit featured Georgia gun builders. Six Higgins rifles were on display including the Gamecock rifle. Extensive cutouts and pointed finials are a trademark of his work. I am located on Lake Oconee.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2024, 12:35:13 AM »
Does it appear that there was once trim around the lock that is missing?  A feature frequently used by Higgins.

Shreck, If you zoom the first picture up, it still has the lock, minus hammer, and looks like it did originally have the trim around the lock!

What a great gun, to just pop up like this!

John
John Robbins

Offline roliver5

• Starting Member
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2024, 03:47:03 AM »
I think it even still has some tallow in the patch box!

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2024, 08:18:16 PM »
The work that went into inlaying that patch box would be more that I put in on at least one rifle I made years ago when I was in high school wood work shop.That was a very fine gun allowed to deteriorate but it isn;t the only one.Thanks for showing this gun maker's skill and ability.
Bob Roller

Offline AZshot

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2024, 12:11:46 AM »
It's great to see another Southern rifle made in some of the other states.  So many from NC it's sometimes hard to realize all state's had long rifle smiths.  Good find.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2024, 02:37:24 AM »
 Interestingly, these muzzleloading gunsmiths that didn’t adopt the newfangled cartridge guns either moved to the back woods, or moved to the gold fields in California, Nevada, and party’s of Arizona. Lake County California, where I live had more gunsmiths than you can shake a stick at. Actually part of the Higgins clan and their neighbors from Georgia, and Alabama, Hiram Kennedy, and family moved to Lake County. I think some of the Kennedy’s even did a little gunsmithing here.

Hungry Horse