Author Topic: Lancaster/Dickert inspired build  (Read 1358 times)

Offline Jason Berkihiser

• Starting Member
Lancaster/Dickert inspired build
« on: July 22, 2024, 12:54:55 AM »
I just got this rifle completed today. This is my third build from a blank of curly maple. My inspiration came from looking at Lancaster and Dickert rifle profiles. All of the artwork is from my design with inspiration from German art.  When I started to plan the build, I was going to build a copy of a Dickert rifle from the Moravian Gun Making of the American Revolution page 125-129. Then I listened to a "I Love Muzzleloading" podcast with Frank House. He inspired me to come up with my own design but using the profile and other inspiration from a specific maker. It has been a fun build.  I like to push myself a little more each time I work on something, and I have a problem with trying to be a perfectionist and this rifle is not perfect, but then again not all of the early rifles were perfect.

This is stocked with a curly maple stock with a 42-inch Rice Golden Age, 54 cal. barrel with a filed decorative design on the muzzle. Chambers Germanic lock. I modified the L&R double set trigger specifically making a new set trigger to get it closer to the Dickert rifle above.  All of the brass fixtures except the trigger guard is made from sheet brass. Everything was given a used, aged patina since it will be a hunter.  The barrel and lock were boiled in a 50/50 bleach/water mixture for about 30 minutes. The overall weight comes in at 9.5 pounds and had a nice balance. It has a cast off built in with a 13 3/4 inch length of pull.  The wood was finished with two coats of Nitric Acid then rubbed back. A coat of Laural Mtn Forge Honey Maple and a coat of Lancaster Maple. I like the layering of the stain after I rub each coat back before applying a different color. After staining I burnish the entire stock with a piece of wool blanket. I used Beck Flintlocks finishing wax next. To get an aged appearance the first coat of finishing wax I mixed bone black powder with it and applied two coats, lightly heating the stock between each coat and buffing it back with a piece of pillow ticking. The bone black seemed to stick better to the wood.  I applied more thin coats of wax I believe four more and buffing with my piece of wool blanket. Overall, I'm very happy with the results. Now on to the next one.

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
Re: Lancaster/Dickert inspired build
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2024, 02:04:52 AM »
I like it!  That is a great looking rifle with wonderful execution and finish.  Not many guys can pull that off, deviating from traditional artwork and decoration and creating their own, much less on the 3rd build.  You did well.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2024, 02:11:22 AM »
That is a lot better than my number 3.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Online 2 shots

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2024, 03:11:41 AM »
 a real beauty :)

Offline StevenV

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2024, 04:00:38 AM »
very nice and #3 to boot. not to shabby, you got some talent. did you make the nose cap , one piece from scratch and the patch box from scratch????? Steve

Offline Jason Berkihiser

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2024, 04:21:31 AM »
I like it!  That is a great looking rifle with wonderful execution and finish.  Not many guys can pull that off, deviating from traditional artwork and decoration and creating their own, much less on the 3rd build.  You did well.

Thank you!

Offline Jason Berkihiser

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2024, 04:23:38 AM »
That is a lot better than my number 3.

It only took me 20 years to get back to making a third rifle. So number 4 should come a little quicker, Lol

Offline Jason Berkihiser

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2024, 04:26:24 AM »
very nice and #3 to boot. not to shabby, you got some talent. did you make the nose cap , one piece from scratch and the patch box from scratch????? Steve

Steve,
Yes I made both the nose cap and patchbox. The nose cap is one piece. I forgot how much fun it is to make one.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2024, 05:13:09 PM »
Really like your "Heinie" muzzle design.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2024, 07:12:27 AM »
Some nice work there - your inletting awesome and your carving is very good.  Also a great job on staining the wood, you made the curl pop.  As Mike says, "Nifty!"  Keep up the good work.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Jason Berkihiser

• Starting Member
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2024, 02:21:40 PM »
Really like your "Heinie" muzzle design.

I always liked a little touch on the muzzle.

Offline Jason Berkihiser

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2024, 02:23:24 PM »
Some nice work there - your inletting awesome and your carving is very good.  Also a great job on staining the wood, you made the curl pop.  As Mike says, "Nifty!"  Keep up the good work.

Curtis

Thank you Curtis, I have areas or skills I want to personally work on, but dont we all? Lol

Offline B Kauffman

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2024, 03:15:18 PM »
Awesome work man, I'm totally with you... don't get stuck in a rut, thinking ah, good enough, or let people sway you to taking any shortcuts... push yourself each build.  I can tell you're a perfectionist, that's what sets it apart from most people's #3.
I look forward to seeing more of your builds on here.
Frank episode was good, listened to that a year or two ago and I still remember that it was a good episode!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2024, 02:48:24 AM by B Kauffman »

Offline Jason Berkihiser

• Starting Member
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2024, 08:30:22 PM »
Awesome work man, I'm totally with you... don't get stuck in a rut, giving ah, good enough, or let purple sway you to taking any shortcuts... push yourself each build.  I can tell you're a perfectionist, that's what sets it apart from most people's #3.
Frank episode was good, listened to that a year or two ago and I still remember that it was a good episode!

Thanks Brother!

Offline B Kauffman

• Starting Member
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2024, 02:49:03 AM »
Awesome work man, I'm totally with you... don't get stuck in a rut, giving ah, good enough, or let purple sway you to taking any shortcuts... push yourself each build.  I can tell you're a perfectionist, that's what sets it apart from most people's #3.

Thanks Brother!

Another text butchered by using my phone.  Sorry about that.  I updated.

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2024, 04:42:51 AM »
Very nice looking rifle, nice carving too. Keep up the nice work!
Cheers Richard

Offline Jdbeck

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2024, 10:45:24 PM »
Congratulations Jason!!! Such a cool rifle!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2024, 02:33:58 AM »
I really enjoyed getting to see it.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Jason Berkihiser

• Starting Member
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2024, 02:54:53 PM »
Congratulations Jason!!! Such a cool rifle!

Thank you John!

Offline Jason Berkihiser

• Starting Member
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2024, 02:56:09 PM »
I really enjoyed getting to see it.

Thank you Richard!