Author Topic: John Rupp Side Opener  (Read 1968 times)

Offline J. Talbert

Re: John Rupp Side Opener
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2024, 11:46:59 PM »
Oooooooooooooo,
Very nice!

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Kevin Houlihan

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2024, 12:37:56 AM »
 Tommy,
 Congrats!  I saw this rifle at Kempton too and it is beautiful.  I especially like the incised carving. Nice job.

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2024, 12:45:07 AM »
I can’t keep my eyes off it. That’s so beautiful.

Online CooleyS

• S.W. Cooley
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2024, 07:32:48 AM »
Having recently completed a Lehigh rifle myself, I can certainly appreciate the fact that you nailed it! What a beautiful rifle with flowing lines and everything seemingly working perfectly together. Nicely done…and I keep coming back to look at the pictures
-Steve

Offline tunadawg

• Starting Member
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2024, 01:40:30 PM »
Beautiful job! When I was looking at all the guns on the judging table, that one just seemed to stand out.

Offline mountainman

« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2024, 09:35:44 PM »
Congratulations! A beautiful gun for sure!
I'm still trying to process the ribbon award, there must have been some changes made, is the Rich Hujsa ribbon the same as a best of show? Maybe the judges can explain this detail on here?
We didn’t want to diminish The significance of The Hujsa Award and award the same rifle the Best of Show also! ( which it was)
Had there been another rifle entered of the same quality and follow the requirements for replication of Pennsylvania longrifle we would have. But we didn’t feel as such.
I personally feel TommyG feels the same way!!!!!
It was definitely nice to finally give this award to a fitting rifle after a three year wait.
Thanks for that explanation Mike! Was Rich Hujsa a former judge? Seems like I recall that name, but my memory seems a little thin  :-[

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2024, 10:48:41 PM »
Richard Hujsa was an avid student, collector, and builder, and also a teacher and mentor. Top notch person. He was a judge back in the day at Dixon’s.
Andover, Vermont

Offline wpalongrifle

• gunmaker/hornsmith
    • mkarkalla.blogspot.com
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2024, 12:01:13 AM »
Congratulations! A beautiful gun for sure!
I'm still trying to process the ribbon award, there must have been some changes made, is the Rich Hujsa ribbon the same as a best of show? Maybe the judges can explain this detail on here?
We didn’t want to diminish The significance of The Hujsa Award and award the same rifle the Best of Show also! ( which it was)
Had there been another rifle entered of the same quality and follow the requirements for replication of Pennsylvania longrifle we would have. But we didn’t feel as such.
I personally feel TommyG feels the same way!!!!!
It was definitely nice to finally give this award to a fitting rifle after a three year wait.
Thanks for that explanation Mike! Was Rich Hujsa a former judge? Seems like I recall that name, but my memory seems a little thin  :-[

Yes he was!! He personally mentored me as well. Hew was also instrumental in getting the Pennsylvania Game Commission to approve the Traditional Hunting Season or “aka” Flintlock Season here that starts day after Xmas!!
He was also on the very First Pa. Flintlock Interstate Team.
Rich was one of those men you only meet once in your lifetime.
mike karkalla
F&AM Chartiers Valley#725
North American Order of the Beaver
mkarkalla.blogspot.com

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2024, 03:34:19 AM »
Mike, I 100% agree.  The Rich Hujsa award is truly a high bar and I am beyond humbled to receive it.  I only met Rich twice as I came in a little late in the game.  His reputation however preceded him as a mentor, builder and collector. 
I'd really like to thank all who commented here on my rifle.  Looking forward to seeing you at Kempton fairs in the future.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2024, 05:19:51 PM »
           I certainly agree that the craftmanship in this rifle is exceptional and worthy of the accolades that it earned.  Having built a fair number of Bucks Co. side openers, I am a bit confused by the metal piece screwed to the bottom of the hinge inside the patchbox opening.  What purpose does this strangly shaped metal appendage serve?  Why all the round rivets? in the metal.  I need to know.    Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2024, 05:44:56 PM »
You're seeing the kick open spring riveted to the lower portion of the hinge, so the box lid/hinge/spring are one solid unit and the entire assembly can be screwed or unscrewed from the wall of the cavity.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline wpalongrifle

• gunmaker/hornsmith
    • mkarkalla.blogspot.com
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2024, 07:36:25 PM »
           I certainly agree that the craftmanship in this rifle is exceptional and worthy of the accolades that it earned.  Having built a fair number of Bucks Co. side openers, I am a bit confused by the metal piece screwed to the bottom of the hinge inside the patchbox opening.  What purpose does this strangly shaped metal appendage serve?  Why all the round rivets? in the metal.  I need to know.    Ron
Ron, This patch box worked so smoothly opening and closing!! The spring assembly and release was done spectacularly.
Having had pleasure of handling many a side openers I’m going to say “This was the best I’ve ever seen” and personally opens and closed no less than 10x’s
I’m looking forward to TommyG next creation!!!
mike karkalla
F&AM Chartiers Valley#725
North American Order of the Beaver
mkarkalla.blogspot.com

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2024, 12:18:17 AM »
        Eric, thanks for the explination.  Now that I know its purpose I see how it works.  The large majority of side openers that I have handled had no kick open spring, relying mainly on a slight torquing of the lid itself to kick open the box lid.  Those that had a kick open spring, used a small leaf spring screwed to the center hinge screw.  This arrangement is nice that it does not petrude into the patchbox cavity.. I learned something, another good day!
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2024, 01:48:22 AM »
Hi Ron, Thanks for the compliments.  I had seen pictures of the original spring arrangement.  The one I created is similar to that although not identical.  When I was building this piece, once I got to the patchbox, I was undecided about it and was thinking of just creating a standard John Rupp box with the front finial(KRA disc #13), knowing the side opener would be a challenge.  But after much thought and a couple of back-and-forth PM's with Eric K., I decided that the side opening box on this Lehigh is what makes this gun so unique.  So, down the rabbit hole I went.  The riveted spring was the most challenging part, and also what made it so unique as well. 
I did several iterations of the spring with 1095 until I got it right, testing it clamped to the hinge plate in a vise.  I knew I had only one shot at it as once the rivets were in, they're in.  Thankfully it turned out well.  TommyG

Offline guido

« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2024, 01:57:45 PM »
Great job Tom as always. Sorry I missed fair  Keep up great work!

Offline t.caster

« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2024, 03:57:56 PM »
That rifle was beautifully done and you are lucky to have so many excellent builders advising you! Congrats on all your ribbons! That blew away my P. Angstat rifle wich ended up in third place.

Tom C

« Last Edit: August 09, 2024, 05:06:49 PM by t.caster »
Tom C.