Author Topic: Take a look at this rifle and let me know everything you can tell me about it.  (Read 4882 times)

jmlimano

Courtesy of Dr. Whisker:

McKean, James (1799-1851). gunsmith. 1802-51, Franklin Twp, Westmoreland County.  His estate inventory included, gun lumber, 7¢; bellows & tools, $2.75; 3 gunstocks, 5¢; a pistol, $1; small cannon, 40¢; screw cutter, 84¢; screwplate, 50¢; 3 boxes of gunsmith's tools, $2; boring apparatus, 10; 1 rifle gun, $12; 1 rifle gun, $4.50; shotgun, $5.10; lot of gunsmith's augers, 42¢  [Will Book 3, p. 313].

McKean, James B. (1832- ). gunsmith. 1860-61, Mercer boro [Census; Dir.]. Son of above

My uncle just passed this percussion rifle down to me to keep in the family. I would like to get as much background information on it as possible. Let me know what you think. It's a 32 caliber. It has J B-M Kean on the lock and on top of the barrel. It's 49" long. It included the powder horn, powder flask, bullet mold, a full tin of Amorces Cannelees Etain percussion caps, and a leather powder flask and measure.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2024, 03:30:50 AM by rich pierce »

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
For the pictures to show you need to add  "[IMG]" (without the ")  in front of each picture address and a final  ]  after the /IMG

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
I fixed the links.
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

jmlimano

Thanks, I've never done this before.

oakridge

Sellers lists a J. B. M. Kean as unlocated. But, I think it's more likely James B. McKean listed as Mercer, PA.

jmlimano

Thanks, Oakridge. I believe my great great grandfather lived in Sandy Lake, Pa which is Mercer county.

Offline Ichinotani

• Starting Member
I have a rifle by J.B. Mckean. from mercer,pa. He died in rouseville, Venango Co Pa

Offline Hungry Horse

Still not seeing any pictures.

Hungry Horse

Offline JTR

• member 2
It's a thread from 2011.........
John Robbins

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Still not seeing any pictures.

Hungry Horse
Pictures cannot be restored. My guess is that they are on a platform where the user has not continued to renew their access.
Andover, Vermont