Author Topic: Big old horn  (Read 581 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Big old horn
« on: September 01, 2024, 12:20:44 AM »
This one is from Georgia. I’m not sure if the carving on the plug is first work or added later. I like the scalloped raised ring toward the spout. Overall length around the curve is 21”.

Andover, Vermont

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Big old horn
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2024, 11:53:43 AM »
 Nice horn, the transition at the neck/spout is really neat. Right place right time.

Tim

Online Levi Garrett

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2024, 03:21:21 PM »
Very nice old horn, it’s very large and I also like the scalloped ring.

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2024, 04:44:02 AM »
The spout is also nicely shaping also.
I guess because of its large size that this may have been a “storage horn”? If so then maybe that crisp carving on the base cap is original in that it wouldn’t have been toted around.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2024, 02:46:43 PM »
I guess because of its large size that this may have been a “storage horn”? If so then maybe that crisp carving on the base cap is original in that it wouldn’t have been toted around.
Good thought Bob, but I wonder about the storage horn category in general - why have a ring at all if it’s not going to have a strap? I guess to hang it on a peg. It feels a little too big to carry easily, for sure.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2024, 10:16:27 PM »
Neat the top & bottom leaf in the plug, utilizing the grains of the wood to look like veins in the leaves. Pretty cool.

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2024, 04:06:31 PM »
Good thought Bob, but I wonder about the storage horn category in general - why have a ring at all if it’s not going to have a strap? I guess to hang it on a peg. It feels a little too big to carry easily, for sure.

Hi Rich- You are probably right about the horn being held by a strap. I would imagine that being a very convenient way to keep it rather than taking up some shelf space.