Author Topic: Lock Panel Questions  (Read 825 times)

Offline grabenkater

Lock Panel Questions
« on: August 04, 2024, 06:07:08 PM »
I picked this up from an estate sale recently and I have been working on it. I would guess it was around 80% completed when I found it. I have looked at many photos of originals and this is where I have arrived.are these lock panels correct for this rifle? Also is the architecture correct for the entry thimble?

When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?

Offline Craig Wilcox

Re: Lock Panel Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2024, 06:36:04 PM »
Panels are a bit wide for my taste, but nicely delineated.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2024, 08:12:44 AM »
I find i like my upper and lower margins to be half again what you have right now. Here are two samples of my lock panels.

The pencil lines on the siler lock paneles are my contemplating making them even slimer

Dave Blaisdell

Offline Dave B

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2024, 08:24:19 AM »
Some rifles depending on the school of the maker have an abrupt treatment of this area. It could be perfect for your's. I T6like to make mine more blended.

Dave Blaisdell

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2024, 03:37:55 PM »
I picked this up from an estate sale recently and I have been working on it. I would guess it was around 80% completed when I found it. I have looked at many photos of originals and this is where I have arrived.are these lock panels correct for this rifle? Also is the architecture correct for the entry thimble?

What originals are you looking at? To me it looks like someone was attempting a Vincent rifle. If that's what you're after there are a lot of images online to compare with your project.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2024, 05:01:01 PM »
I have only made two southern rifles, one from a TN Classic pre-carve and a Kibler SMR, I like thin lock panels. The Kibler had minimal lock panels.

I looked at just about every southern rifle in the ALR library before I settled on this thin and flowing lock panel for my TN rifle.

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2024, 06:44:13 PM »
It's a Golden Age Arms Vincent kit. Only they used the Egg lock. They also sold a fullstock in flint.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline JasonR

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2024, 06:53:49 AM »
Generally, the slimmer the lock panel margins are the better the gun looks. I would pencil a line along the middle of your entire lock panel. Look at it and see how you feel about it. Roughly half of your existing margin should be rasped away. The upper left margin behind cock and lower right margin below frizzen spring are to be equal in thickness.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2024, 02:43:16 PM »
In the percussion period lock margins grew on many guns compared to 1700s flintlocks. Some were huge, which is not my preference. But if copying an original I try not to “improve on it.”
Andover, Vermont