Author Topic: Scraping Walnut ok?  (Read 658 times)

Offline AZshot

Scraping Walnut ok?
« on: August 21, 2024, 01:11:11 AM »
Hi,
I have a Kibler kit Southern kit coming this fall, I sent them a walnut stock from Allen Martin.  I've never used scrapers before.  But I want to try them on this kit, no sandpaper.  But I want to be sure, does scraping work equally well on walnut as the maple you usually read about? 

I've read here all the posts I can find.  I do see whiskering can be a challange.  But I want to try the scrapers, anything to know?  Thanks.

Offline JPK

Re: Scraping Walnut ok?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2024, 01:21:49 AM »
Scrapers work, pay attention to the grain.
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Offline AZshot

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2024, 02:11:05 AM »
Thanks, can you clarify?  I usually sand with the grain any wood.  Do the same with scrapers?

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2024, 03:11:04 AM »
I use scrapers a lot.  Keep the edges sharp and use them in any direction that will produce a smooth cut.  You will be able to tell instantly.  Sometimes with the grain....sometimes against it.....some times at an angle to it....sometimes parallel to it.  Sometimes the surface wants to ripple due to the curl and you end up scraping in parallel (or at an angle) to the washboard surface to smooth it out.  As long as whatever you are doing is smoothing the wood, you're doing OK.

And by the way, I scrape brass and steel as well as wood.... ;)
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline AZshot

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2024, 07:13:49 PM »
Thanks all.  I will go for it.  Worst case I don't like the results, and finish up with some sandpaper... But probably will like it a lot. 

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2024, 02:15:27 AM »
I am not fond of a scraper finish.  Especially on walnut. Your going to have to burnish it hard to get an even remotely smooth finish.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2024, 02:54:45 AM »
For burnishing? Small glass bottle or steel cylinder?
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline AZshot

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2024, 05:11:10 AM »
Mike Brooks, thanks for that.  Maybe I'll compare the 2 technques on some walnut while waiting on the rifle.  I do like a smooth finish, and filled grain on walnut.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2024, 05:17:27 AM by AZshot »