Author Topic: Thumb of a gun  (Read 604 times)

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
Thumb of a gun
« on: August 27, 2024, 06:19:14 PM »
  While cutting out a gun stock for a new trade gun. With my skilled abilities. I managed to cut my left thumb down though the side of it near to the joint.  Luckily I have nerve damage in this hand. So I kept cutting because I didn't feel any sudden pain. Except for that red stuff ...freaked the wife out big time...Oh well S happens.... Oldtravler

Offline Daryl

Re: Thumb of a gun
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2024, 06:49:02 PM »
I hear ya. Me running water over a gash in the bathroom sink. Tracy says "how'd you cut youself" -  me  " I don't know,  it happens".
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2024, 07:46:23 PM »
Thanks to a table saw, my right middle finger is the same length as the adjoining fingers.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2024, 08:10:51 PM »
Did ya ever think you would say the phrase "Lucky I have nerve damage"?  ;)

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2024, 08:13:56 PM »
Mike, of you are familiar with the movie "The Red Violin", you will be happy that your DNA will outlast you well into who knows how long down the path of history!   ;D
Joel Hall

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2024, 08:18:34 PM »
A little of my DNA goes into everything I do.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2024, 08:49:57 PM »
Every time I grab a power tool or a sharp hand tool, I asked myself (literally outloud) "Is this the day?" and then I envision what it might look like a step into the future... as I am taken to the ER with a limb wrapped in a bloody towel.

This ritual, before I start working, keeps me careful and less liable to go for those "shortcuts" that seem so innocent at the time but can literally change your life.

I love my chainsaw, but it scares the $#@* outta me.

K

Galations 2:20

Offline taterbug

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2024, 09:32:16 PM »
you know, i was wondering how some of you pro's were getting such a pleasing red tint in your stocks.

Kidding!  yep, gotta 'try' to be careful.  Cant' tell you how many times I've tried to catch a dropped chisel.  Usually right after I've just honed it again!  Thankfully I'm not as quick as I used to be, so dont 'catch' too many anymore :o

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2024, 10:28:11 PM »
My doctor told me I should write a book called " Hand Tools and The ER"or " The Bloody Truth About Hand Tools" .

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2024, 11:31:46 PM »
you know, i was wondering how some of you pro's were getting such a pleasing red tint in your stocks.

Kidding!  yep, gotta 'try' to be careful.  Cant' tell you how many times I've tried to catch a dropped chisel.  Usually right after I've just honed it again!  Thankfully I'm not as quick as I used to be, so dont 'catch' too many anymore :o

A friend of mine that I usually shoot with on Sundays had a job one summer in Alaska working on a fishing boat. He said it was the most physically demanding job he ever had.....and then he went to school.  But, my point is the knives they use are honed razor sharp for carving up fish. He said they were trained that when the knife slipped out of their hand, or otherwise was going to hit the floor, they were to rain their hands straight up.

He said after a few times, it was "normal" to do this. He said those knives were so sharp you could lose a finger or more if you caught it wrong. Let it hit the floor!!!