Author Topic: How to shoot RH rifle left handed?  (Read 435 times)

Offline smylee grouch

How to shoot RH rifle left handed?
« on: August 24, 2024, 04:56:22 PM »
Back in 2014 I started a rifle with a wide butt, 2&1\2 " wide so I incorporated a 1\4+" cast off for a right handed shooter. Fast forward about 6 or 7 years I lose my right eye and have to shoot LH now. This wasn't too much of a problem with my other RH rifles but this wide butt job seems to make me cant  the gun when shooting left hand and it seems to be throwing my shots to the right. Any thoughts from the gallery?  :-\

Offline Daryl

Re: How to shoot RH rifle left handed?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2024, 06:41:02 PM »
Canting will 'throw' shots. Try searching for Taylor's thread on stock bending, using oil and heat. Might be able to do it with heat alone,
but of that I am not certain.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2024, 07:37:12 PM »
I had thought about bending the stock but this rifle will  be handed down to one of my right handed grandsons in about a year or so I will revert back to my 62 which I can control easier. I would just like to use this 66 on a couple more hunts before I give it up.

Offline Carney Pace

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2024, 08:51:21 PM »
I have been shooting RH flintlocks LH for over 50 years.
Have found out if the rifle has cast off in the stock it does not shoot where you are lookin. It will also kick into your check and cause  a bruise.  especially with the bigger calibers.

Carney

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2024, 09:17:03 PM »

Since the life expectancy of the rifle far exceeds the shooter it's time for a new gun... darn it  ;D
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline mushka

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2024, 05:10:37 PM »
Due to a damaged right eye I shoot rifles left sided.  Right  handed rifles offer me no problems,  I have one lefty that I don't really like to shoot.