Author Topic: Levi Biddle Swivel Rifle  (Read 627 times)

Offline Joepett

• Starting Member
Levi Biddle Swivel Rifle
« on: September 08, 2024, 11:18:38 PM »
I would like to have more information on my Levi Biddle swivel rifle/shotgun (?). The upper barrel appears to be smooth bore, perhaps 20 guage, and the lower barrel is rifled 50 caliber. The lock is a bit rough but with close examination, the letters "ddle" can be made out inside a scrolled enclosurer. My questions are these: how unusual is a Levi Biddle swivel rifle or rifle/shotgun? Can someone identify the markings to the right of the signature on the lock?

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Levi Biddle Swivel Rifle
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2024, 01:32:19 AM »
Is the barrel signed Levi Biddle? The lock was probably made by riddle.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Joepett

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2024, 02:17:47 AM »
Neither of the barrels are signed

Offline Longknife

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2024, 05:14:56 PM »
In this guns time period locks, barrels and many other gun parts were available to purchase. The 'smith would then supply the wood and assemble the gun putting his name or mark on top of the barrel.
Ed Hamberg

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2024, 06:38:34 PM »
Joepett,

Swivel rifles are a rarity no matter the maker. Nice piece.

Buck

Offline OLUT

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2024, 10:52:31 PM »
I can't add much, but these commercial  RIDDLE locks usually have a decorative scroll design on the lock plate similar to the one shown. Your unknown gunmaker had pretty good skill and used a distinctive trigger and cheekpiece that MIGHT help somebody identify this maker. Likewise the fit of the nipples  onto the "bolster plate" are not common . You've got a nice swivel breech combination gun

Offline Joepett

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2024, 11:34:09 PM »
Thank you all for your comments/observations.  Is there, in fact,  "Riddle" lockmaker? I thought the initial response included a typo, riddle for Biddle.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2024, 03:44:06 AM »
Riddle was a lock maker
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Joepett

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2024, 06:56:05 AM »
Given the photo sent, the lock on my rifle is clearly Riddle.  I've done some research and found that Tryon and Company may have used Riddle locks on their swivel barrel rifles. Other possible candidates are gunmakers James B. Cooper and James W. Parker,  though this list likely is not inclusive. This research is AI generated and may not be accurate.  Does anyone have an opinion as to whether any of the above likely made my rifle?

Offline dadybear1

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2024, 01:42:33 PM »
WHAT UNLOCKS THE ACTION TO SWIVEL---SLIDING TRIGGER GUARD????  JEFF in TEXAS

Offline Joepett

• Starting Member
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2024, 04:57:25 PM »
There doesn't appear to be any particular locking mechanism on the rifle. While I'm not sure this is unusual for a swivel rifle, it seems to be particularly heavy,  weighting over ten pounds. The weight of the barrels seem to keep them in place when rotated. I've attached a few close up photos of the section of the rifle where the barrels rotate.

Offline OLUT

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2024, 06:26:56 PM »
Your swivel breech is a late type with a "180 degree twist type" barrel release. One  of the "swivel plates" has a groove cut into it and the other swivel plate has a stud that rides in this groove. These are much simpler in construction than the earlier versions that utilized a release via a button, lever or sliding trigger guard. Here's a photo of one of my unknown maker's gun with a similar swivel action. Note that  the front of the lock fits into a recess in the rear swivel plate ; yours seems to be incomplete in this detail, but your side plate does show this well (changed lock, or?)

Offline Joepett

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2024, 06:50:29 PM »
Thanks very much for your information.  Does the size and shape of the patchbox offer any insight into the maker?