Author Topic: Flint's Frolick  (Read 7161 times)

Offline Herb

Flint's Frolick
« on: January 03, 2010, 09:29:24 AM »
Flint's Frolick was New Year's Day.  We had 13 shooters, four of them women.  All shot custom flintlocks except two new, and welcome, factory caplock shooters (not in this photo).  I am on the right with my buffalo steaks prize.

Targets were numbers painted on dinosaurs cut from particle board. shot at about 40 yards.  I was No. 17 on the pink dino's tail.  Lynn has chosen her prize of meat.

Four people shot on the green dino, the rest on the pink one.  Five shots, but that was increased to seven when the good weather held, about 20 degrees.

Here Flint, of Hanover, Germany, watches Carole shoot off a tie at 22 yards, using a .40 flintlock I built for her.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 04:59:39 AM by Herb »
Herb

Candle Snuffer

Re: Flint's Frolick
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 04:13:29 PM »
Looks like a lot of great fun to be had there!  Thanks for the pictures! :)

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 08:14:15 PM »
Don't belive I've ever seen a dinasore rifle afore......

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 10:48:41 PM »
Sure good to see so many people out, Herb.  I don't believe I've shot a dino before.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 12:08:44 AM »
 Nice pics, great view. Thanks for posting them.

Tim C.

PS:Dinosaur targets, That's different, for my money you win the most unusual target award.TC

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 02:09:49 AM »
Herb, I can see you folks have a good time...way to go!  Thanks for sharing your event with us.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

ironsights1

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 02:17:00 AM »
Now we really know what caused the dinosaurs to disappear!

C. Cash

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 07:36:23 AM »
Nothing better than good friends combined with some shooting!  ;D Thanks for sharing that.

Lloyd

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 08:19:52 AM »
Herb,
I notice that Carney wasn't there....  I remember some good times with him Kine, and Neil...

Offline Herb

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 08:32:58 AM »
Carney and Jean were in the house.  Carney had an aneurism about a month or more ago and surgery for it.  He is recovering well, but wasn't up to shooting.  Jean also had a medicine reaction problem and wasn't up to it that day, but she'll probably clean our clocks next shoot, probably on Valentine's day.  Here the women are playing Farkel, their usual game at these events.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 05:01:16 AM by Herb »
Herb

Offline bdixon

• F & AM #376.
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 12:21:18 AM »
Looks like lots of fun, but @!*% cold! If you were number 17 does that mean you are stuck with butt steaks?  Is this event near Vernal?  I was there once, unfortunately at the Harley shop for some repair on a co-travelers bike, it was during the dinosaur round up days event, nice little town.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 12:33:40 AM by bdixon66 »

Offline Herb

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 06:40:42 AM »
Yes. this is near Vernal.   Jim's place is about 10 miles up a canyon to the northwest.  Flint's cabin is near it.  Lots of room to shoot.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 06:41:33 AM by Herb »
Herb

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 04:09:11 AM »
I kinda lost touch with Carney a couple of years ago.  Did he ever get retired and get his barrel making business going?
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 04:41:51 AM »
So I am guessing you shoot for your number, and try for the smallest group....is this correct?
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline Herb

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 07:24:51 AM »
Carney retired about a year ago, I think, but I don't know if he is building barrels yet.  I know he got some big lathe or barrel making machinery.  We have had a nice Christmas meal the last five or six years, but some temporary health problems cancelled this year's.  They have a nice .22 shoot maybe twice a year, a fun event.

On the dino targets, we were assigned a number to shoot at.  I don't know how the shots were scored.  Number 17 had more area than numbers below 10!  That particle board didn't record multiple shots in one hole, maybe next year there could be a cardboard circle with the number, if they do this kind of target again.  The main instructions were, "Don't shoot the baby!"  After the main course of fire, someone shot out the pink dino's eye.  Pretty good shooting.  I let one of the new shooters, a teen age boy, shoot my rifle and he clipped the nose near the eye, only his second shot with a flintlock, after trying Jim's .54. The pink dino was configured as a bull in rut, but Carole took that my photo into a computer program and expurgated him.  (See King George III target).  Thus the reference to cojones on my target, see Flint's Frolick II post for photos.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 07:28:57 AM by Herb »
Herb

Offline Herb

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 02:07:13 AM »
The rest of the photos are on the next page, in Flint's Frolick II.  Here is George shooting at the pink dinosaur.  He was state of Utah flintlock champion for two years, some time ago.  Said he shot 90 grains of Goex 2F in a .50.  This rifle is a .54.  He's the first guy to shoot the dinosaur's eye out.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 05:03:18 AM by Herb »
Herb

Daryl

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 07:06:42 PM »
George obviously is a very good shot.  Taylor does things like that all the time but he's just lucky. ;D
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 07:07:04 PM by Daryl »