Author Topic: Wolfgang Haga - $14,500  (Read 1583 times)

Offline fundukj

Wolfgang Haga - $14,500
« on: August 12, 2024, 11:12:43 PM »
This is a spectacular Reading rifle in the black. You could call it "attic condition" or a "barn find" because it literally came out of a farm in Amish country, Indiana, about ten years ago. It is untouched, except for gluing a small crack in the forestock near the muzzle to prevent any damage or loss. In my opinion, it has the best style relief carving on these guns attributed to Wolfgang Haga. Elegantly relief carved behind and in front of the cheekpiece and behind and around the tang, also. Silver star cheekpiece inlay, thick beveled sideplate, wide triggerguard, forestock moulding. Flintlock converted to percussion, of course. Barrel is 41 5/8" long with a big smoothbore. Wonderful patchbox with a toeplate finial to match! Thin, but long sliver of wood missing at top of forestock near muzzle. Patchbox lid is stuck closed and I've just left it alone.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
Re: Wolfgang Haga - $14,500
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2024, 08:15:06 PM »
John,

That one brings back memories... especially of you Michigan guys coming down here to Indiana to grab up our best barn finds! And that rifle was truly found in the barn of the large country estate that sold a little earlier. I was the underbidder on the rifle that day, and still think it's one of the best rifles to come out of Indiana.

Shelby Gallien

Offline fundukj

Re: Wolfgang Haga - $14,500
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2024, 10:19:48 PM »
Shelby:
I remember that day fondly, also!