Author Topic: My first set of flintlock tools and how I make the wire links  (Read 194 times)

Offline Sudsy

• Starting Member
My first set of flintlock tools and how I make the wire links
« on: September 16, 2024, 08:36:37 PM »
Came out OK
Next set will be better

This kind of stuff, making the tools, isn't so hard, I have 30 years of making big surf fishing plugs under my belt and the machining techniques are very interchangeable.
Working on a bag and lanyard now and I'm realizing I have a long way to go with leatherwork, to put it bluntly, I'm lousy at it so far!!

I use the same techniques for making the loops that I do for making the nose and tail loops for plugs
Here are the steps for making the loops/chain sections:

Photo 1. The must have tool and the finished link on the primer tool. You can get by with pretty much whatever tools you have around, but you have to have a good pair of loop pliers. They have OK ones at most hobby shops. You will also need a bench vise with a nail clamped in it that closely fits the size of the loop, and a pair of Vise Grips.

Photo 2. These are all the tools I use for the initial bending and for final adjustments. The lineman's pliers and the Sheetmetal benders on the right are used to square things up. You can do the squaring up part fine with two pairs of regular household pliers if that's all you have

Photo 3. The initial loop. Leave some wire to wrap over

Photo 4. Second loop bent in and ready for wrapping

Photo 5. On the vise, ready to wrap. I find it best to wrap over top towards me, but do whatever works for you. Use a pin in the vise that's closest to the size of the loop, The snugger that is the better the wrap.

Photos 6 & 7. Wrapped, ready to cut off with a good pair of close cutting wire cutters. File off any sharp edges left.

That's it, easy peasy. You can make them as big or small as you like. If you look closely at the photo of the flintlock tools you'll see that the loop on the brush is rectangular and the one on the powder measure has two sizes. Just remember to always wrap from the small side.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2024, 03:32:08 AM by Sudsy »

Offline Mick C

Re: My first set of flintlock tools and how I make the wire links
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2024, 10:16:51 PM »
I think that stuff looks great. You're making me want to try my hand and bending wires into useful stuff but I'm sure mine won't come out nearly as well.
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: My first set of flintlock tools and how I make the wire links
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2024, 12:22:50 AM »
Excellent tutorial on making the loop. I’ll give it a try!
Andover, Vermont