Author Topic: Stock Finish  (Read 4111 times)

Offline smoke

Stock Finish
« on: January 29, 2010, 04:27:08 AM »
Hi: I like to know what your favorite stock finish is. So many finishing products it is confusing. Dan

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Re: Stock Finish
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 03:03:31 PM »
Well you will get lots of opinions I think. Personally I like Chamber's Traditional Oil Finish (a medium oil varnish). Easy to get, easy to use, easy to repair.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

keweenaw

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 06:35:40 PM »
Listen to Tim.  Favorite is somewhat subjective.  I use a finish appropriate for the piece I'm working on.  Chamber's finish is very forgiving and by varying your technique you can get a variety of surfaces with it ranging from a oil in the wood finish to hand rubbed surface finish.

Tom

Offline t.caster

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 06:53:22 PM »
Ditto the Chambers sealer and finish, for me.
I also put a furniture paste wax over that from time to time.
Tom C.

Offline Frank

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 07:06:12 PM »
Ditto on Jim Chambers finish. It is the best that I have ever used, and I have used a bunch of them. Goes on easy and gives excellent results. Needless to say that I will use nothing else.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 07:08:02 PM by Frank »

Offline Swampwalker

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 07:56:17 PM »
I use a good traditional oil based varnish, and thin it with a good quality thinner as needed.  Currently, I'm using spar varnish.  I thin it half and half or more to seal the wood thoroughly, then use somewhat less thinner to provide a finish that can be rubbed on.  This finish system is cheap, locally available, very durable, and very flexible, and does a good job highlighting the grain.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 10:15:51 PM »
Chambers finish up to surface puddle then currently using Eric K's oil on top coats. Superb.

ronward

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 01:35:42 AM »
Waterlox, thinned with turps 50% for first coat, then out of the can every other day. it will build with 3-4 coats, let it cure for about a week, then nock the gloss back with fine scotchbrite and BLO as lube. wipe it clean, let it gas off for a week again and then rub out with fine scotchbrite and johnson's paste wax. buff it down and let it cure for a day or two. been doing stocks and furniture this way for about 15 yrs. now. i put the scotch brite pad on my random orbital for big surfaces and have at the details by hand.
   just about any tounge based rub on will produce an excellent finish.... brand doesn't matter, they are all just about the same.
   i recently found an old, almost empty can of spar varnish that had started to thicken, it was about like honey. i tinted it just a bit red with a cherry stain, and used it like a rub on....best stuff i ever used on a stock.....i need to figure out how to age spar varnish faster... maybe in a slow cooker?? the can barely had enough for the one stock i did with it. the stock was  very curly piece of soft maple on an FN mauser and the tint really brought the figure out!