Author Topic: Thoughts on Triggers.  (Read 12066 times)

northmn

Re: Thoughts on Triggers.
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2010, 02:57:46 PM »
There may be more single set than we know as they were often hidden triggers requiring that the rifle be taken apart to ID them.  Most worked both ways.  Some target shooters did not seem to like them but the one I have works OK.  While I think that a good single set may be the best of both worlds, I still like a good single trigger.  Daryl has talked about smootbore shooters that seem to do very well with plain triggers.  Rarely (I say rarely because if I said never someone would post a picture of one) see a set trigger on a fowler or trade gun, yet some shoot them pretty well.

DP

Daryl

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2010, 05:47:38 PM »
At times, there wil be up to 6 of us shooting the Sunday Trail with smoothbores. They all have single triggers, some better than others, of course, but all good.  We do just fine with single triggers, as do all the guys still shooting modern postition matches, prone as well as 3 position and long range. here in Canada, position rifle triggers have a minimum of 2 kilogram pull. That's 2.2 pounds.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2010, 05:52:28 PM »
There may be more single set than we know as they were often hidden triggers requiring that the rifle be taken apart to ID them.  Most worked both ways.  Some target shooters did not seem to like them but the one I have works OK.  While I think that a good single set may be the best of both worlds, I still like a good single trigger.  Daryl has talked about smootbore shooters that seem to do very well with plain triggers.  Rarely (I say rarely because if I said never someone would post a picture of one) see a set trigger on a fowler or trade gun, yet some shoot them pretty well.

DP
Any sort of sett triggers on/in a trade gun flies against the NMLRA rules and the same in the shoots around these parts.  Not saying that non are actually used ::)

Non in mine btw.,   :)

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2010, 06:41:12 PM »
The double action, single set trigger from Stan Hollenbaugh seemed like the perfect solution for my English 1750 rifle. Its a good looking single trigger to meet the style requirements, but when I want a set trigger I have it. Same is true on my .54.  It did take a bit of practice to be able to use one or the other feature when hunting, depending on the range, use of gloves, wind direction and ambient noise in the area. Obviously, I like it a lot.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2010, 03:54:22 AM »
To each his own, but I have gravitated towards single triggers, pinned high so that the vector against the sear has no angle. I think the angle is the reason that so many double triggers have an unusable pull unset. I have found that it is really easy to pin the pivot of a single trigger too close to the sear contact and get too much creep and a trigger pull of ounces. I had to reposition one to get a pull of about 1-1/2#, which is still a little light, but OK. I suspect the front trigger on DST are really used mostly for tripping the sear and lowering the hammer rather than actually firing the rifle, and a single trigger is fine for that.

For what its, worth, I have seen somewhere that some DSTs were installed where the front trigger was so close to the guard that the trigger had to be touched on the side to fire. The idea was that it helped reduce jerking the trigger.

roundball

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2010, 05:21:21 AM »

I suspect the front trigger on DST are really used mostly for tripping the sear and lowering the hammer rather than actually firing the rifle..."

Interesting...never had that throught but that's basically what I use my front triggers for...that and to perform a silent cocking if I think I need to

northmn

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2010, 02:03:44 PM »
That ability to lower the hammer is a very imprtant one, as I have a single lever trigger.  They are common on Tennessee rifle I think, but I only had one single lever as one is enough.  A single trigger is safe as long as the lock does not easily trip without he trigger.  One English trigger assembly TOW offers has two seperate posts, one to screw the tang screw into and one to raise the pivet.

DP

Daryl

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2010, 08:01:22 PM »
My .45 Longrifle had a single throw double set trigger. Pain in the posterior, having to set the trigger, then trying to 'catch the cock'.  I replaced it with a double set, double throw - very happy I did. So- anyone want to pay me Wayyyyy too much for a double set, single throw trigger, just to be PC? ;D

northmn

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2010, 06:57:01 PM »
I may have another like it if someone wants 2 of them.  They do not work too bad on a target range but for other uses are a pain.  It's interesting how many times you want to lower the hammer without shooting. One other thing about set triggers.  If you are abuilder they definitely add to the cost.

DP

Daryl

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2010, 07:55:26 PM »
Single throw set triggers are a pain for hunting, that is "for sure and for certain." ;D