Author Topic: Old words I found in patch boxes  (Read 3970 times)

jwh1947

Old words I found in patch boxes
« on: March 06, 2010, 03:11:30 AM »
Finally found my notes; wanted to get it right.  Originals in Pennsylvania German; my translation with wife's assistance (fluent there and "regular" Deutsch).  On old shards remaining in patch boxes of Kentucky rifles found in central PA, circa 1970 -1990, like Biblical manuscripts, words missing; scribe filled in supposed words according to his bias and limitations.  I stand by it.

1,)  He who finds God
      Can lack nothing,
      At field or home.

He who loses God
      Can possess nothing.

2.)  Avoid three false masters
      Those who esteem only themselves
      As their self-esteem is blindness
      Those that esteem only innovations,
      For their opinions are aimless
      Those who esteem only what is established
      Their minds are little cells of ice.

Not bad for a bunch of dumb Dutchmen. Wayne

C. Cash

Re: Old words I found in patch boxes
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 06:56:19 AM »
Very cool!  Are there any more  compilations of recorded patchbox inscriptions?  Would love to see more.....
Thanks for the post.

jwh1947

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 03:56:16 AM »
Only other one I ever found was previously reported, "Gott sei mit dem Jaeger."  God be with the hunter. 

You all obviously know that on many, if not most, Lehigh originals, there is a little hole up under the patch box finial.  It is a prayer hole.  That's where this one and the top writing above were found...in prayer holes of Lehighs.

Every Lehigh I build has a prayer hole and this prayer in it, in German.  Just keeping to detail.  We'll leave it to the building experts tell you how to drill that hole parallel with the center line of the rifle.  Wayne

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 07:46:54 AM »
Once in a great while, a patch box door will have some kind of inscription. Three that come to mind are a T. Allison (Kindig) that has an arrow and the word 'Death' in script. There is a Dickert rifle with the word 'Pizen' (poison) on the lid. Another rifle reported on many years ago is a southern gun bearing the words "Fool killer, I am looking for you." One has to wonder just what episode this referred to as it sounds vengeful and may signify an old crime.
Dick