Author Topic: RCA No. 64  (Read 2112 times)

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
RCA No. 64
« on: June 12, 2011, 11:29:15 PM »
On the gun attributed to John Schuler in RCA No. 64, the barrel is described as "round", and "rounded exterior". To me it looks "rounded", in that, it looks like an octagon barrel filed almost round. Has anyone seen this gun and made note of the actual barrel configuration? I would appreciate any information, or observations on this gun and the barrel profile in particular. Thanks!
Robby                                 
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Dave B

Re: RCA No. 64
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 01:48:54 AM »
Robbie,
I think it is an optical illusion with regard to the all most octagon appearance. The barrel is round but the rear standing breach has a raised section to make the rear sight groove and creating a almost flat area at the breach. The lighting is causing some trouble with it as well with that hard line forward from the breach area. There may be some flutes in the barrel at the breach, running forward but the wedding band just ahead of the standing breach indicates a fully round barrel at this juncture.
This has to be one of my favorite Bucks Co. guns
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
Re: RCA No. 64
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 04:00:39 PM »
Thanks Dave. If I am seeing the pictures correctly, and at this point I'm not so sure anymore, the band filed onto the end of the barrel ahead of the standing breach in photo 64h appears to be slightly lower than the main barrel, and at the angle of the photo, that would put it right about where I think I see the rounding over of the junction of the barrel flats. Maybe i have been stering at these pictures too long. ???
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln