Author Topic: Barrel by H. H.  (Read 5178 times)

J Shingler

Barrel by H. H.
« on: April 06, 2010, 05:07:57 AM »
I have a friends gun in the shop to add some sling swivels.  Big 76 cal Yeager. Just have never seen a barrel like this on. Other than "big"  LOL  ;D  It seems to be a well made. Stamped on the bottom flat it says .775  1:122 (for twist) and I assume the maker  H. H.  Anyone heard of this maker?
Thanks
Jeff

billd

Re: Barrel by H. H.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 05:42:12 AM »
Hoppy Hopkins I think. 

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 07:17:33 AM »
I think Hoppy Hopkins was one of the H's in H&H, and I can't remember the other.  They were from MD., if I recall correctly.
I put one in my wife's flintlock, along with a small Siler, back in the early 80's, and she won a few matches with it at Friendship, competing against other women mostly shooting caplocks.
H&H was one of the first, that I know of, that offered round bottom rifling back then.
It's a fine barrel, but they haven't been made in quite a few years that I know of.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 04:20:40 PM »
Jeff.......The "H & H" were the intials of Hoppy Hopkins and Tom Hobbs, also, they were not the first ones to do round groove rifling.   Paris did that from the very beginning, back around  1966-67, before H & H was in business.     Don

J.D.

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 07:02:49 PM »
H&H barrels were some of the best, back in the day. The best shooter I ever owned was a 54 cal, 1: 56 twist, H&H barrel used to rebarrel an old Lyman Great Plains rifle.

Unfortunately, I let someone talk me out of it. Ben kicking myself ever since.

God bless

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 08:43:31 PM »
H&H mmmmmmm.  'They' still owe me a barrel which I bought and paid for >:(

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 09:05:24 PM »
I think maybe I got it, Roger.  Just kidding, but I do have an H&H thick walled straight barrel suitable for a Hawken.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 10:18:18 PM »
or for weight lifting!! how much does it weigh??
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 10:28:35 PM »
It's short and stout, IIRC it is 1 and 1/8" wall to wall and .50 caliber, 32" long.  I wish it was longer, but if wishes were horses, beggars would ride.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 12:40:07 AM »
Hoppy was a real character.    Out at Friendship he used to have a huge Parrot (bird, not a cannon) in his booth.   There
were claims that it was the head of their tool and die department.   He was an excellent shooter, especially in the musket
matches.   Later, when they moved to Florida, Mike Belle worked for him, and they also did a lot of serious shooting.  I think Mike used to hold a lot of records at Friendship, however, thier "superior" demeanor at some of the shoots really
turned a lot of people off............Don

J.D.

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 01:47:21 AM »
Hoppy was a real character.    Out at Friendship he used to have a huge Parrot (bird, not a cannon) in his booth.   There were claims that it was the head of their tool and die department.   He was an excellent shooter, especially in the musket
matches.   

Dang, that musket must have had a real short LOP and a large trigger guard so's the parrot's wing could reach the trigger.  ;D

Sorry, I couldn't help myself...ok, so I could, but didn't.  ;)

God bless

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 04:15:07 AM »
Don,

Thanks for the info.  I tried to leave myself some wiggle room saying,  "one of the first, that I know of"... ;D

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Online Joey R

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 04:58:09 AM »
Jeff, I noticed that wiggle room when I read your post ;) :D
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill