Author Topic: Ball size for Colerain 20ga. smooth barrel  (Read 6500 times)

Dave K

Ball size for Colerain 20ga. smooth barrel
« on: April 06, 2010, 03:25:36 AM »
This is there 44" oct. to round smooth bore barrel. What are most of you using for the ball size.  .610's are too tight. .600's will only go in if you use a really thin patch. So are most using .595's and a .015 patch

D. Bowman

Re: Ball size for Colerain 20ga. smooth barrel
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 04:42:11 AM »
I use .590 ball and 18 thous. patch.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 05:49:40 AM »
I'm making due with a .600 bag mold with either a thin patch, or just wads. I need to get a .595 and will probably buy one this year. I'll probably buy some different sized balls from Track of the Wolf to test before
settling on a mold. Maybe even a .590.    I'd rather have a smaller ball and a thicker patch.

Leatherbelly

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 06:17:43 AM »
I have one. It likes a .595 RB and an 18 thou patch. I push it down in 6 inch increments,no two finger loading and I cheat, (a starter)!

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 06:42:07 AM »
My Penn Fowler has a Long hammock bbl.  I use a .600 pure lead ball and a .023" patch.  I use a short starter, and the hickory rod is tapered 7/16" to 3/8".  Loads easily.  I shoot 85 grains FFg GOEX and really like the load.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Mike R

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 03:33:25 PM »
This is there 44" oct. to round smooth bore barrel. What are most of you using for the ball size.  .610's are too tight. .600's will only go in if you use a really thin patch. So are most using .595's and a .015 patch

some are not patching the ball, but rather using it over and under wads [or wadding].  they report good results.

northmn

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 04:03:59 PM »
I do not see a source for a 590 RB.  Track sells 595 at a little over $10 per 50, whcih likely isn't all that bad once a load is worked up.  No molds from Lyman or Lee.  They jump from 575 to 600.  Buying a custom mold to get a 590 RB does not appeal to me.  In a way I am kind of looking at a mold as my mold is an old Dixie Gun Works scissors handle mold where I ahve to cut off the sprue.  Its is 600 and worked in a couple of 20 bores.  I used to use a card above and below the bare ball when I had a 715 mold and used a 12 bore, or had to use a very thin patch and a tight load.  Never really benched that 12 bore as a bench does not help absorb recoil.

DP

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 04:12:56 PM »
I do not see a source for a 590 RB.  Track sells 595 at a little over $10 per 50, whcih likely isn't all that bad once a load is worked up.  No molds from Lyman or Lee.  They jump from 575 to 600.  Buying a custom mold to get a 590 RB does not appeal to me.  In a way I am kind of looking at a mold as my mold is an old Dixie Gun Works scissors handle mold where I ahve to cut off the sprue.  Its is 600 and worked in a couple of 20 bores.  I used to use a card above and below the bare ball when I had a 715 mold and used a 12 bore, or had to use a very thin patch and a tight load.  Never really benched that 12 bore as a bench does not help absorb recoil.

DP

Jeff Tanner in England. Fast service and the mould I have is a good one.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 04:25:12 PM »
Rapine make a .590 mould, that's what we normally shoot in one of our 60 cal. barrels.   We usually shoot a .600 ball in
a 20 ga. barrel (620) bore.............Don

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 04:56:30 PM »

some are not patching the ball, but rather using it over and under wads [or wadding].  they report good results.

That's the way I shoot mine as it seems to be the traditional way of shooting single projectiles in smooth guns during the 18th century.  A 600 ball has to have such a thin patch and smooth guns generally shoot better with smaller ball and thicker patch. I really did not work up a single projectile load yet but off the cuff I was able to keep ten shots in a pie plate size at 50 yards off hand just wadding with 1/2 a cushion on top and 1/2 on bottom .

Daryl

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 05:53:10 PM »
I shot some of Taylor's .600" balls from the Lee mould until my Tanner mould arrived. We mic'd the Lee balls and they are .605/.607" average.   They loaded easily with a .022" denim or ticking patch.  I use the same patch when the Tanner mould arrived, casting .595" balls. Once past the choke with the shrot starter, it's 2 finger loading and no fouling buildup for an enrrie day's shooting. None of us, Taylor, LB, nor myself ever wipes the bore when shooting - no need. I'm thinking there is some slugging up (obturating) going on when the charge manifests itself in the larger bores, probably not in small bores.  This target was shot from the smoothbore, not a smooth rifle.  Of course, the only difference is no rear sight and a short 32" barrel.

Dave K

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 09:11:52 PM »
I did try a .600 ball with over powder and shot card. The ball goes down, but is sure don't rattle going down the bore. I was really surpised how well it grp. at 25yds. I know I can't really use any patching with a .600 ball, so hopefully I can use a .595 in this Colerain barrel. Of course I want an accurate gun, but using a hammer is not something I want to use either to get it down the bore. Thanks for the responses.

Daryl

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 09:16:24 PM »
We don't use hammers, Dave, and a .600" ball is very loose in a .620" bore.  About .015" is minimum for good results, clean shooting - but- if you don't want to use a patch - have at it. Maybe your gun has a .615" or a .610" bore. In that case, you'll need a smaller ball.

Dave K

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 09:34:05 PM »
Daryl, I just checked the bore. It is .613. I do know though that the .610 will not go down the barrel without pushing them down. I didn't check them for roundness, I just grabbed one and it stuck in the bore, rather loosely, but still stuck and the ball was bare.  I am sure that all barrel manufactures have a tolerance and mine maybe on the snug side.

Mike R

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 09:54:05 PM »
Daryl, I just checked the bore. It is .613. I do know though that the .610 will not go down the barrel without pushing them down. I didn't check them for roundness, I just grabbed one and it stuck in the bore, rather loosely, but still stuck and the ball was bare.  I am sure that all barrel manufactures have a tolerance and mine maybe on the snug side.

I believe the Colerain 20 bores mic a bit small--yours is problably the average. They are not .620s.  I had another so-called 20 bore made by a fellow by boring out an old Green River .58 rifle barrel. I had to go to .590 balls to get them down.

roundball

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 10:37:08 PM »
I do not see a source for a 590 RB. 

Check with Eddie May down in Georgia...Birddog6 put me on to him...best cast ball and shipping prices I've ever found...so far I've used his .600's and .395's.

(he doesn't have a website)

Eddie May Round Balls
159 Ridley Rd.
Chatsworth, GA. 30705
706-581-8225
“Best Quality Round Balls, Minnie, Rifle Bullets and Modern Cast Bullets”
Please Call or Write to place Order

Daryl

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 11:25:05 PM »
Dave - given that information, the .610's, if having sprues, will stick at some point, where the sprue runs sideways against the inside of the tube.  If they have no spures, they aren't round - or - aren't actually .610" in diameter.

In that tight a bore, I'd be using a .590" with a descent patch - maybe even a .585" ball and a .022" denim patch.

It's amazing how much this helps - rotating the thumb in a circular motion with 320 grit emery or wet/dry paper. Rotate the barrel every now and then to make certain the 'grinding' is perfectly even around the muzzle.  This 'crown' allows the ball and patch to swage together into a perfect fit that wipes (cleans) the bore down each time it's loaded and so there is only 1 shot's fouling (the last one) in the bore at any time but it's only there until the next one is loaded.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 11:27:58 PM by Daryl »

Leatherbelly

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2010, 03:58:34 AM »
 My Colerain barrel measures .610 with my caliper.It's a 44 inch offering and seems to like the .595 and after measuring I understand why.
  I have to add here. I checked loading this gun again And we came to the conclusion that it has a choke. Real tight for about two inches,then relatively easy after that. All in all, a good tight load.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 04:33:46 AM by Leatherbelly »

Offline satwel

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2010, 02:52:26 AM »
I started off with .600 ball in my 20 ga. Had to go to a very thin patch because it was so tight. Switched down to the Lee .575 and used a denim patch from an old pair of jeans. Worked pretty well. Couldn't find a .590 mold until another shooter offered me a like new Rapine .590 he no longer used at a great price! Now I can use the same patching I use in my rifles-- 40 lb drill cloth. A little tight at the muzzle, but then goes down easily.