Author Topic: Wanted Barrel maker ID  (Read 3091 times)

Ben Gorey

Wanted Barrel maker ID
« on: April 17, 2010, 02:45:40 AM »
I have a pistol barrel with a patent breech, 7/8" oct. 7" long, 45 cal rifled, brass front sight which is "set in" the barrel (no dovetail), has a dovetail slot  for the rear sight (missing). The top flat is marked in 3/32" block letters: H.L. Born. On the bottom flat arranged in a column parallel with the flat are 1/8" letters: V, P, and what appears to be crossed swords or maybe double stamped X's. It is in excellent condition and shows excellent workmanship. Any ideas as to who was H.L. Born, where did he work?

Offline Steve Collward

Re: Wanted Barrel maker ID
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 03:41:53 AM »
Ben:
  Is there a space between the H and L (perhaps worn)?  Why I ask is that there is an area of London called Holborn.  The crossed swords/V, P you describe are most likely British proof marks.
SC

Ben Gorey

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 05:29:51 AM »
The letters are sharp and clear and exactly  H. L. BORN  Clearly there are periods after the H and the L. 

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 05:43:01 AM »
The V and P are part of the British proofing system's marks. They stand for "Viewed" and "Proofed."  The barrel was first proofed then viewed to check for flaws.

I believe there are identifiable differences in most years between London and Birmingham proofs but don't have a book handy.

Gary
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 05:45:52 AM by flintriflesmith »
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 05:44:45 PM »
If it is a military pistol barrel, there could be a number of reasons for the name: barrel's maker, military inspector, armorer who performed upgrades, etc.

I've got one that has 4 different names in various places on the barrel and breechplug.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson