Author Topic: 2 1/2 hours Work with Taylor's brand new .570 Lyman Mould  (Read 4057 times)

Daryl

2 1/2 hours Work with Taylor's brand new .570 Lyman Mould
« on: April 19, 2010, 11:12:39 PM »
Gems for my double rifle.

2 hours casting is about my limit. Used Taylors brand new Lyman .570 mould. this mould had a sprue plate almost double thickness - nice to see.  Degreased it with soap and a toothbrush, hot tap water, mounted them on handles, then sprayed the blocks inside and out with Moly for coating bullets. Plugged in the pot, set the mould with the blocks on the rim to heat as the lead melted. After 1/2hour, started casting.  2nd through last are perfect as the blocks were almost to temp to start with.  Poured the lead into the sprue hole with the nozzle just to the side so the air would escape easily, leaving a big bubble on top.  The surface tension of the moly seems to make leaving a big bubble of molten lead on top of the mould easy.   4 or 5 seconds and it's hard. I then push the sprue cutter aside with a heavy gloved hand, then tip the mould over and tap the hindge pin with a hammer handle, then open the blocks and the ball falls out - no sticking. They measure .571" x .572" which is good for a Lyman mould this size.
After casting these balls, there is no lead sticking tot he blocks- just as purty as when first sprayed with moly.

Incidently, ther is rubbing of the metal at the index pin holes, but they are not peened as it appears in the picture.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: 2 1/2 hours Work with Taylor's brand new .570 Lyman Mould
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 01:54:27 AM »
Looks like jewels to me :P
Andover, Vermont

BrownBear

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 02:23:31 AM »
Poured the lead into the sprue hole with the nozzle just to the side so the air would escape easily....

Lotta folks miss out on that fine tuning detail, but man, what a difference when you're casting anything big around or long.

beleg2

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 04:18:48 AM »
Good Daryl!
Lyman molds are very good.

How about a tutorial about casting with Tanner molds?

;)
Martin

Daryl

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 08:12:40 AM »
Due to not having vent lines cut into the blocks themselves, I cast the same with the Tanner moulds.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 03:59:45 PM »
 Kool, looks like pearls.

Tim C.