Author Topic: Good Group  (Read 6687 times)

eagle24

Good Group
« on: September 03, 2008, 09:19:21 PM »
Out of curiosity, and since I have never been to a match, what would be considered a respectable 5 shot group from 25 yards off-hand?  Also, I've been trying to find a good load for a .50cal rifle I will deer hunt with this fall.  What would you expect or want (group size) at 50 yds from a bench?

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
Re: Good Group
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 09:52:45 PM »
A good 25 yard off hand match target will be 2" or under.  Plenty of better targets get "shot" on the web, but those guys never seem to show up at a match. ;)

For your hunting load, I'd start at about 60 grains and work up in five grain increments to see what shoots well for you.  If 60 works it should be adequate for deer and if a heavier charge shoots well it can't hurt.

This is what my last 50 yard bench final sight in target looked like at 50 yards with my .54.

With the same load and rifle I'm doing good to hold 10 shots in six to eight inches so that pretty much ends up being my max range when hunting deer.
Mike Lee

eagle24

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 10:38:26 PM »
Thanks.  I've come close to shooting a 2-1/2" 5-shot 25yd group several times, but always seem to have 1 bad shot that brings the group to around 4" or so.  My rifle seems to like 70gr best, but shoots very near the same group size with 60 or 80gr.  Unless something changes, I will probably go with 80gr for my hunting load.  I have put 4 shots into a ragged hole at 50 yards from the bench, but again always seem to have 1 shot that brings the group size up.  I'm getting an honest 2" group with 60, 70, or 80gr (benchrest) at 50 yards.

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 11:00:30 PM »
This is a 25 yard, 5 shot offhand group.   I shot this wayyyyy back in 1976 when I could shoot and see.  Unfortunately, times have changed and I'd be quite happy with a centred 1 3/4" group using the flinter.  We, Taylor and I, shot a lot back then, and thought groups like this and better were expected.  The only reason I still have this target, is it was the first offhand group with the new .45 Bauska deep groove barrel and thus, it was stapled to the inside of my shooting box.

eagle24

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 11:14:32 PM »
Great shooting Darryl.  Right now I'm probably averaging just under 4" groups at 25 yards offhand and I have good eyes.  Pretty bad huh?  However, it is a big improvement over a few months ago when I shot my first flintlock.  I started out hitting everything but the target and flinching beyond my belief.  I seem to shoot my .50 better than my .32.  The .50 has a single trigger with a slight amount of creep and it seems to help me squeeeeeeze the shot because I can lean on the trigger a little bit.  If I can keep improving and get down to a consistent 2-1/2" group at 25 yards I think I would be pretty happy.  My range offhand for deer is probably about 25 yards right now.

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 11:34:54 PM »
Tks, GHall - practise will bring things together. I hear you about the trigger. The same deal applies to my .45 flint pistol. With it's single trigger and tiny creep, follow-through is just about guaranteed, but not quite. It will take more practice with it for sure.

Since Taylor and I bought 50 pounds of powder we've not got enough to do some serious practising this year to come.  To get back in form would be very good news for sure. A consistant 2" offhand group is a very good goal.  Hitting a 4" or 5" gong at 50 yards every time seems easy compared to shooting a descent group at 25 yards right now.

J.D.

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 06:58:23 AM »
Wanna learn to shoot better. Dryfire for 10 minutes each practice session as many times a day as possible.

It takes 40 hours of good practice to solidify the muscle memory that makes for a solid follow through. So replace the flint with a hard wood block and dryfire.

And focus on the front sight.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 07:00:07 AM by J.D. »

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 07:30:02 AM »
JD - Replace the flint with wood, no problem.  Dry-fire paractise each day, no problem. Focus on the front sight -  Houston, we have a problem.
; I've been a competition shooter long enough to focus on the front sight, but any more and pertaining to the proper sight picture, I'm like a steer - only trying hard.

ironwolf

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 11:45:53 PM »
  Yes, followthrough is every thing.  When you practice, try to "see" the ball into the bulls eye.   Like throwing a baseball.
  My first groups with a flinter were the same way, and practice, as well as stuff learned here have tightened up my groups nicely.

Kevin

eagle24

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 12:10:46 AM »
My follow through is definitely improving.  I've started calling my shots and pretty much know where the sight was when the charge goes off.  Biggest problem I'm having right now is holding steady.  I've got to find time to get out from behind this desk and get in some quality cardio exercise.  Probably help a great deal if I could stay away from the coffee pot too.

Offline Habu

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 02:29:51 AM »
In addition to dry firing, you might consider getting a good air gun.  The biggest improvement to my shooting is a direct result of 10-20 rounds a day through a Slavia 630 rifle (with weights added to simulate the weight of my .54 flinter) and the same through a Webley Tempest pistol.  I can't always get out to shoot the "real" guns, but I can almost always find the time to shoot here at home.

Leanin Chair

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 07:25:53 PM »
Follow thru with a flinter is definately a must. I was having trouble shooting off hand and placing low and to the right when my bench shots were center. I lightened up my trigger and corrected the problem. The heavy trigger release was pulling me off the center.

Leanin Chair