Author Topic: 4 Hours work trying to make a gunflint  (Read 5529 times)

William Worth

4 Hours work trying to make a gunflint
« on: April 20, 2010, 11:00:31 PM »
Not much to show, so no photo.  I may as well have smashed beer bottles against my forehead the whole time.   :(   I have pounded enough rock to do a chain gang proud.  I have filled; my shoes, hands and lungs with razor sharp debris.  I'm afraid I'm going to be a flint buyer all of my natural life.  :-[ :'(

It doesn't even make decent gravel since it yields sharp debris that will cut my dogs feet.  I keep thinking that this will be like riding a bicycle and at some point, I will catch on....

Offline Beaverman

Re: 4 Hours work trying to make a gunflint
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 11:09:22 PM »
Helps to sit at a masters knee and watch the tools work, noit saying I can do any better, just helps!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 11:37:42 PM »
I can send you my article on how I do it if you send me an email
longtrekflints@gmail.com

But if possible you should read a book on flintknapping so you understand the basic principles of percussion flint knapping.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 12:21:11 AM »
percussion flint knapping.

Is that a contradiction in terms?  :)

Tim C

William Worth

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 02:51:28 AM »
Thanks Rich, but I have your article and have read numerous books and articles on the subject.  There's just something about actually seeing someone do it that I'm not picking up in text.  

Most tutorials start with the "Mousterian Core", heck, if I had that to start with, it would probably work.  I just can't seem to find any of those lying around here. :P

I have the Skertchly book: "The Manufacture of Gunflints".  Wow, those guys could whack out something like 10,000 good gunflints a day.  Some of the pieces I knocked off today would have actually made a decent "arrow head", but I wasn't trying to make those. :-\  

My two primary implements of destruction today was a 10 oz. brass hammer and a steel gate hinge pin.

I seem to be using the the room full of monkeys with typewriters trying to write the great novel school of knapping approach.  Now and then, I find a piece that I can sort of force a gunflint out of in my fragments.

Maybe I need better rock  ???  Sounds like weathered rock is an issue.  I have been using what is called Kentucky agate found at the surface  It's black and is embedded in limestone.  I probably have destroyed some otherwise valuable pieces.  It is the state gemstone. 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 03:21:23 AM by William Worth »

Seven

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 03:52:16 PM »
In may experience with knapping arrow heads, weathered rock isn't necessarily a bad thing but agate is no fun.   With a weathered rock you first have to strike off the cortex (the outer layer of material that is a different color) to get to the usable stuff.   In your case it sounds like the cortex is made up of lime stone.  I've never liked agate for knapping or for flints.  But my experience may be different than others as I've only used a small amount of it.   I've never used a black agate though, so you might be good to go with it.  If you are knapping and concerned about the debris in your lungs (you SHOULD be concerned) either knap out side or put a small fan beside you blowing from side to side.  -Chad
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 03:54:30 PM by Seven »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 07:06:05 PM »
Thanks Rich, but I have your article and have read numerous books and articles on the subject.  There's just something about actually seeing someone do it that I'm not picking up in text.  

Most tutorials start with the "Mousterian Core", heck, if I had that to start with, it would probably work.  I just can't seem to find any of those lying around here. :P

I have the Skertchly book: "The Manufacture of Gunflints".  Wow, those guys could whack out something like 10,000 good gunflints a day.  Some of the pieces I knocked off today would have actually made a decent "arrow head", but I wasn't trying to make those. :-\  

My two primary implements of destruction today was a 10 oz. brass hammer and a steel gate hinge pin.

I seem to be using the the room full of monkeys with typewriters trying to write the great novel school of knapping approach.  Now and then, I find a piece that I can sort of force a gunflint out of in my fragments.

Maybe I need better rock  ???  Sounds like weathered rock is an issue.  I have been using what is called Kentucky agate found at the surface  It's black and is embedded in limestone.  I probably have destroyed some otherwise valuable pieces.  It is the state gemstone. 

You are right, getting the core set up is the hardest part of the process.  Most of the rock I use is already broken, and I look for an acute angle to get started.

Some weathered rock is "rotten" that is, it cracks into a zillion pieces because it has internal, invisible cracks that are part of the natural erosion/breakdown of rocks to soil.

Someday i'm going to video making gunflints for the layperson.

Maybe those claims of 10,000 flints per day were an exaggeration.  That's about 800 an hour.  That's about 13 a minute.  Or one every 5 seconds.

With the rough rock I find, I can spend 2 hours and strike off enough blades for 100 flints.  Then the next day I can make 30-40 gunflints in an hour from the blades.  Then I need a rest.  Then I can manage another 30-40 gunflints in another hour.  3 hours is all I can take in a day because i get bored and my back gets stiff.

I am sure (having done it) that starting with a nice nodule of glassy black English flint makes it possible to knock off a lot more long, high quality blades that need very little shaping.  Just snap them off and you have gunflints.  It goes much faster and the yield is much higher.  But unless I can get the core "set up" in a cone or paper-cup shape, there will be nothing but rubble resulting from any amount of work.
Andover, Vermont

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 10:25:04 PM »
having chipped away one afternoon, and cut my hands to bloody ribbons, I am very impressed with those folk like Rich that can do this...

Ken
Galations 2:20

William Worth

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 03:30:47 PM »
For those not familiar with Skertchly's book (circa 1879) I submit the following...

"The next process is flaking, which is performed on the same stool as was the previous process, the workman quartering a stone and then flaking it up.  This is the most difficult branch of the business, and requires a great skill and nicety of judgment.  The stone must be struck at the proper angle, in the exact spot, with a certain force, and by a given portion of the face: and all but the first of these elements vary with every flake.  Many knappers are unable to flake, and but few attain great proficiency in the art."
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 03:31:59 PM by William Worth »