Author Topic: Ambi dexterous half stock rifle  (Read 4495 times)

zimmerstutzen

Ambi dexterous half stock rifle
« on: April 21, 2010, 05:12:00 PM »
Normally I wouldn't direct anyone to look at an auction site, but this gun strikes me as very peculiar.  There is a relic condition gun.  The percussion lock is on the right side, but the butt stock appears to have a cheek piece on both the left and right sides.
I have never even heard of such a thing.   

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=164611113 

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Ambi dexterous half stock rifle
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 05:28:48 PM »
Common in the new england area.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 06:28:51 PM »
Bottom is original gun.  Top is my interpretation from parts I had around the shop.
It was a quicky build just for kicks.

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

BGC

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 10:31:46 PM »
Some WV rifles occasionally had double cheekpieces as well. J.W. Stackhouse and Joe Young made several guns with a beaver tail cheekpiece on both sides. Unusual, but not uncommon.

doug

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 02:06:22 AM »
     Until it was stolen, I had one by Philo Soper of Ontario.  I think I have seen one other somewhere but can't remember where

cheers Doug

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 05:46:14 AM »
I have two by Illinois makers. One is by MILLS & THOMPSON at Plum River, Jo Daviess County; the other by N B DEVOL, who worked in Marshall, Clark County. I have seen them by other Illinois makers as well.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 04:07:05 AM »
 Go to www.bobjonesguns.com and see the double barrel percussion muzzleloader with two sets of barrels (one set shotgun the other rifle) with full cheekpieces on each side.  It is a fantastic German gun I believe made by Sauer.  Wish I had the money!